Temperature control knob cable attachment

BX Tech talk
mijfife
Confirmed BX'er

Temperature control knob cable attachment

Post by mijfife »

Hi all,
Whilst investigating a problem with my heater blowing cold today (possible partially blocked matrix?) I had a closer look at the non functioning control knob for the temperature control. This hasn't worked since I got the car and I just had the control cable sitting in the footwell so I could have it either hot or cold.
Anyhoo.... I thought that the white plastic backing plate to the heater control assembly was broken but on closer inspection, it's actually okay. What I can't fathom out is how the damn thing actually works :roll: The black plastic lever on the back of the control knob turns independently from the knob itself so I'm assuming something is meant to attach the two parts together? Does the cable just push into the slot on the end of the aforementioned lever? I've attached a couple of pics below, any hints on how it's meant to look would be appreciated!

Regards, Jim
1991 BX TZD Hatchback, biodiesel powered :D
2007 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi - everyday work horse, totally reliable but so dull :roll: 60k miles on my homemade biodiesel so mega cheap to run!
1967 Singer Chamois Coupe - owned since 1998, fully restored by myself - love it.
1991 Kawasaki GPz900r - owned since 2004, awaiting light restoration & a bit of TLC.
2002 Triumph Daytona 955i - bought in 2014 so that I could take Kawasaki off the road to restore - that's my excuse anyway :lol:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: Temperature control knob cable attachment

Post by ken newbold »

Cable hooks through one of the holes in the black part, then the outer part sits down in the half round opening in the white part, BUT there should be a shiney metal clip to clamp the outer cable down to stop it moving.

The other big issue with these thing is, the cable is cut to an almost exact length, no free-play so very difficult to get it all back in place, unless you're 3 handed.
They think it's all over, it is now!
mijfife
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Temperature control knob cable attachment

Post by mijfife »

Hi Ken, thanks for clarifying that for me, makes sense now! I thought the cable had to clip into the black arm in the centre, not sure what thats for?? I know I'm missing the outer cable clip, hopefully I'll have something in the garage that will do the trick.
I did notice that the cable was extremely short, thanks for confirming my fears that it would be a total pain to fit, i'll see if I have that 3rd hand in my toolbox........... :wink: :lol:

Regards, Jim
1991 BX TZD Hatchback, biodiesel powered :D
2007 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi - everyday work horse, totally reliable but so dull :roll: 60k miles on my homemade biodiesel so mega cheap to run!
1967 Singer Chamois Coupe - owned since 1998, fully restored by myself - love it.
1991 Kawasaki GPz900r - owned since 2004, awaiting light restoration & a bit of TLC.
2002 Triumph Daytona 955i - bought in 2014 so that I could take Kawasaki off the road to restore - that's my excuse anyway :lol: