Anything about BXs
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Quiet Forum

Post by Kitch »

Bloody forum. It's so quiet! Only 16 new posts in just over one day :roll:

It's what we make it :)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Quiet Forum

Post by mds141 »

I had a 'rough' year last year, with Mum passing away and fighting off bouts of depression, but I'm slowly getting back into the forum(s) again. I wouldn't have met so many new friends and partaken of BX themed adventures without this here BXClub forum. Long may it continue. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

I,m still here =D> despite losing my brother :(
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
Glorybx
My Cars: BXTZD.

Post by Glorybx »

Come on guys, get on f/b. You will see so so many more BXs, especially restorations and new finds, Its totally your loss if you dont!! You will meet more friends on F/b i can tell you. Just met guys in Oz who are so keen on Citroens. Its a very exciting place compared to here. Dont ever knock it until you have tried it. You may be suprised!!
CXs, DSs, BXs, GSs, GSAs, even Tractions. Please dont be so negative about the place.

Those who dont use Facebook, yes i dare use the word, are missing out, even if you have convinced yourself that you have not. You are, whatever you say!! There is so much to offer and you WILL be suprised.Dont knock it tilll you have used it!! Dont remain a dinosoaur!!
BX19TRS
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I AM on Facebook. I remain loyal to the BXClub forum though.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Same here.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mds141 wrote:I AM on Facebook. I remain loyal to the BXClub forum though.

And me , been a big user of FB for 8 years for diving and wild camping but prefer to remain here for BX due to the years of enjoyment it has and does give me but that apparently makes me a "dinosaur " according to some pompous asses on BX FB page.
Last edited by Defender110 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Glorybx wrote:Come on guys, get on f/b. You will see so so many more BXs, especially restorations and new finds, Its totally your loss if you dont!! You will meet more friends on F/b i can tell you. Just met guys in Oz who are so keen on Citroens. Its a very exciting place compared to here. Dont ever knock it until you have tried it. You may be suprised!!
CXs, DSs, BXs, GSs, GSAs, even Tractions. Please dont be so negative about the place.

Those who dont use Facebook, yes i dare use the word, are missing out, even if you have convinced yourself that you have not. You are, whatever you say!! There is so much to offer and you WILL be suprised.Dont knock it tilll you have used it!! Dont remain a dinosoaur!!
What you doing on here then if the forum is not for you? Some of us have enjoyed this forum for many years and don't appreciate being called dinosaurs from someone who has the grand total of 17 posts on it!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm with you, mate. I am an active FB user - and admin on a few groups, but for someone who has little experience of this Forum and it's history to start mouthing off about those who choose not to do it (their choice) and labelling them a 'dinosaur' because they make this decision is insensitive at least and in my view well out of order. Obviously it's also true that those who use the forum and bemoan the fact it is so quiet (compared with previous years) and yet refuse to entertain the thought of FB - even in a Club context... well, they are missing out IMHO (and the words 'nose', 'spite' and 'face' come to mind)... But I defend their right to do so!

All in all I will frequent both. Trouble is, I fear the evasive growth of 'Social media' will increase the pressure on Forums/Clubs and we may find the adapting to this difficult. Take for instance car rallies. The days of getting hundreds - nearly 1000 one year - of Citroens together at a National Rally is long past and it isn't necessarily the fault of the Club. Other car clubs are finding the same problem.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I'm with you, mate. I am an active FB user - and admin on a few groups, but for someone who has little experience of this Forum and it's history to start mouthing off about those who choose not to do it (their choice) and labelling them a 'dinosaur' because they make this decision is insensitive at least and in my view well out of order. Obviously it's also true that those who use the forum and bemoan the fact it is so quiet (compared with previous years) and yet refuse to entertain the thought of FB - even in a Club context... well, they are missing out IMHO (and the words 'nose', 'spite' and 'face' come to mind)... But I defend their right to do so!

All in all I will frequent both. Trouble is, I fear the evasive growth of 'Social media' will increase the pressure on Forums/Clubs and we may find the adapting to this difficult. Take for instance car rallies. The days of getting hundreds - nearly 1000 one year - of Citroens together at a National Rally is long past and it isn't necessarily the fault of the Club. Other car clubs are finding the same problem.
Bang on.

The key is to embrace the changing times and roll with the punches (as you've been doing with the events, and will continue to do so no doubt).

For now, I personally still think there is room for the forum. The blog area is superior to anything on FB, as is the for sale section and technical sections. The only thing really that FB blitzes the forum on is the 'General Chat' role, because that's what FB is all about. FB is also much better at events and the spotted advert links, but they can also still be covered on the forum too. The forum is naturally going to go quiet, just as the amount of people who read a monthly paperback club magazine dwindled when forums became the next big thing, but for now I think it still has a place, especially with the advent of Tapatalk and things like that.

Biggest issue with the forum (as has already been pointed out) is the machine you use to view it. I'm on a PC now, but only because I'm at work. How many people sit down at home and switch on a PC? I barely ever turn mine on! I've got a tablet (which is broken) and a phone that can view all this stuff, and I suspect the majority of people are the same. Truth be told, I don't really need the PC anymore, but going on forums doing posts and especially faffing about adding pictures etc, is all much, much trickier on a phone. Facebook is exceptionally easy, on the other hand.

We shouldn't kid ourselves that the forum will grow and get busier, because it won't. I don't think any forums will. They're the internet community equivalent of a CD in an MP3 age. There will be some who burn all their CD albums to MP3, and there will be some who refuse to embrace change, despite the fact the MP3 doesn't jump, can't get scratched and takes up no space at all while losing or gaining nothing in sound quality. I guess this is where the 'dinosaur' comment is aimed, though I agree it's a bit uncalled for. And to put the shoe on the other foot, there are people on FB who refuse to entertain the idea of a forum, so that's no different other than the fact they could possibly argue they don't need to use a forum when Facebook will do.

Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Kitch wrote:
Philip Chidlow wrote:I'm with you, mate. I am an active FB user - and admin on a few groups, but for someone who has little experience of this Forum and it's history to start mouthing off about those who choose not to do it (their choice) and labelling them a 'dinosaur' because they make this decision is insensitive at least and in my view well out of order. Obviously it's also true that those who use the forum and bemoan the fact it is so quiet (compared with previous years) and yet refuse to entertain the thought of FB - even in a Club context... well, they are missing out IMHO (and the words 'nose', 'spite' and 'face' come to mind)... But I defend their right to do so!

DEFENDER: - Yes very true.

Bang on.

The key is to embrace the changing times and roll with the punches (as you've been doing with the events, and will continue to do so no doubt).

For now, I personally still think there is room for the forum. The blog area is superior to anything on FB, as is the for sale section and technical sections. The only thing really that FB blitzes the forum on is the 'General Chat' role, because that's what FB is all about. DEFENDER:- agreed but I do feel without using the forum for general chat it will die off much quicker so think it is important to keep using the forum for this FB is also much better at events and the spotted advert links, but they can also still be covered on the forum too. The forum is naturally going to go quiet, just as the amount of people who read a monthly paperback club magazine dwindled when forums became the next big thing, but for now I think it still has a place, especially with the advent of Tapatalk and things like that.
DEFENDER:- I did try Taptalk and really didn't like it so scrubbed it.

Biggest issue with the forum (as has already been pointed out) is the machine you use to view it. I'm on a PC now, but only because I'm at work. How many people sit down at home and switch on a PC? I barely ever turn mine on! I've got a tablet (which is broken) and a phone that can view all this stuff, and I suspect the majority of people are the same. Truth be told, I don't really need the PC anymore, but going on forums doing posts and especially faffing about adding pictures etc, is all much, much trickier on a phone. Facebook is exceptionally easy, on the other hand. DEFENDER:- I really hadn't though about this before but now you have pointed it out I can see what a big issue this is, I do have regualar use of a PC / laptop and now tablet so it isn't an issue for me personally but obviously this is now not the norm.

We shouldn't kid ourselves that the forum will grow and get busier, because it won't. I don't think any forums will. They're the internet community equivalent of a CD in an MP3 age. There will be some who burn all their CD albums to MP3, and there will be some who refuse to embrace change, despite the fact the MP3 doesn't jump, can't get scratched and takes up no space at all while losing or gaining nothing in sound quality. I guess this is where the 'dinosaur' comment is aimed, though I agree it's a bit uncalled for. And to put the shoe on the other foot, there are people on FB who refuse to entertain the idea of a forum, so that's no different other than the fact they could possibly argue they don't need to use a forum when Facebook will do. DEFENDER:-Personally I am just very reluctant to let go of something that I have enjoyed so much being a part of for so many years and because of this I am intensely loyal to the forum and fear that if I do use FB too much my use of the forum will inevitably dwindle
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote: stuff
Agree mostly, which is why I'll continue to use the forum as I do Facebook. Inevitably I'll check into Facebook more often just because it's much easier and quicker, but I'll continue to use the forum. Trying to do a blog on Facebook is hopeless unless you have your own album, and nobody does or will do anytime soon.

deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

I'm afraid I'm one of the "dinosaurs" and not on FB. However this should be my 500th post on this (great!) forum.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Defender110 wrote: What you doing on here then if the forum is not for you? Some of us have enjoyed this forum for many years and don't appreciate being called dinosaurs from someone who has the grand total of 17 posts on it!
Unless I'm very much mistaken, Glorybx is a longstanding member who left but has returned under a new username. I'll leave him to 'come out' if he wishes but it's surprising how distinctive a person's style of writing can be!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote: Unless I'm very much mistaken, Glorybx is a longstanding member who left but has returned under a new username. I'll leave him to 'come out' if he wishes but it's surprising how distinctive a person's style of writing can be!
Then that would dent his argument further, couldn't stay away :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202