BX for free!

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
nige
Confirmed BX'er

BX for free!

Post by nige »

Am sorry to say it looks like my BX may need a new home. Ive owned it for the last 12 years.. its been such a faithful old car. Its failed the MOT on both suspension arm pin bearing.. i really think this is beyond my capability to sort. Its a K Reg 1.9D 192,000miles.. ive done 100,00 trouble free. The only catch is i'm not exactly central UK.. am in Inverness... it has MOT till March 8th. Absolutley free to anyone on here.. give me a shout on nigel@cullodencomputers.com or find me on Facebook .. my name is Nigel Shaddick - cheers
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

The fleet:
1992 Citroen BX 19TXD
1972 VW Camper
1969 Triumph Spitfire MKIII
1984 Kawasaki Z750
2002 Ibiza Seat
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: BX for free!

Post by Tinkley »

A pair of these would do it. Not too hard btw, there's lots in the tech section. I've done them on 3 cars so far... :wink:

http://www.eurocarcare.net/rear-suspens ... r-kit.html
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

yes - this is a common wear item... shouldn't be much more than 30 - 60 minutes per side really - just need a 24mm open spanner and some exhaust pipe over the end to get the rear nut undone..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

themildbunch wrote: shouldn't be much more than 30 - 60 minutes per side really - just need a 24mm open spanner and some exhaust pipe over the end to get the rear nut undone..
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :shock: , Takes a hell of a lot longer than that to strip down, remove old bearing races out of the suspension arms (noting a lot of them often foobar the bearing housing needing them to be welded up an machined back down) then refitting bearing carriers and bearings. correctly spacing up with spacers etc. ... 30 minutes aside and just 1 x 24mm spanner! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote:noting a lot of them often foobar the bearing housing
Foobar??

Fuck Ostrich Organs Beyond All Recognition? :lol: :wink:

But yes, you're right about the repair times.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Any photos?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I'd say the replacement time is er er variable... :wink:

I've had some come apart sweet as pie, and others a real b****. Getting the bearings out can be a couple of minutes to 40 minutes per arm again depending on each arm, at least for me with a limited selection of 'drifts' jemmy, etc. Generally the more perfect and newer/low miles the better but not always the case. Never had one where the new bearings could not be driven straight back in after light clean and grease though. Sure a little damage around the spacer/seal, more commonly almost no taper rollers (rust) left... :wink: But I suppose if I hear a clonk from that area it gets sorted fairly quickly.

Only one of the three I've done had spacers and two definitely did not have the bearings changed before. I did look for them as it was the first one I did that had the spacers. I note it was later build cars that did not have them so possibly a new more accurate factory jig/weld raer subframe or they got lazy and left them out.... :wink:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

As we've seen on here receently, the all important R clip in the bottom off the arm can put a couple of hours on the job if it feels like it.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

ken newbold wrote:As we've seen on here receently, the all important R clip in the bottom off the arm can put a couple of hours on the job if it feels like it.
Fortunately that was only one car.... :wink: In fact the problem was wear from the bottom of the cup retaining part of the suspension cylinder rod. As this had worn so thin against the rear arm a crevice was opened in te middle, and rust through this to the pin caused the sticking. Only getting the b****** on the bench did it give up this little secret... :wink:
Citroen should in fact have used a mm more clearance from that pin hole and it would have been OK. It is very tight, and if I had designed it, I would have been tempted to put that extra mm on it from new.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Sadly it ins't just that one car. I've changed enough rear arm bearings on these things over the years to know just how common a problem it is. Every time I serviced one, I would always take the pin out and copper grease it and the cup in seat in the arm if possible, make life so much easier later.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Ha - must have misread the OP and thought he meant the front suspension arms! :roll: - Agree though rear arms do take a while...

Can to post any pictures of the car here?
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
nab
My Cars: Citroen BX GTI 8V
Citroen cx TRS
Karmann Ghia 1968

Post by nab »

Does anyone know if this car is still available, I have tried sending a message.
I suspect it has gone now as it was posted a couple of weeks ago and free is a good price.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Nope!

I asked for pics as I would have quite enjoyed the trip to Inverness to salvage another BX, but I ain't spending £65 on train fare and probably £30-40 in diesel for the return if the car is a scrapper.

Don't understand why these people continually advertise stuff on interent forums and then never respond. Just plain and simple rude I guess!
nab
My Cars: Citroen BX GTI 8V
Citroen cx TRS
Karmann Ghia 1968

Post by nab »

I could get a ticket for £40 (some prices where over £100)if I got a train at about 6am and would of enjoyed a day out up there.
I was not expecting much for free , but if all it failed its mot on was the rear suspension I could of sorted it out myself while I am off work this week, then ran it as it was and see if it was worth spending more money on later.
Its mot runs out on tuesday so if it has not gone by then I cant see anybody wanting to to to have it transported as it will cost a fortune from up there.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I got one a few years ago which was 103 miles NORTH of Inverness, a grand day out to say the least. The lady offered the car for free which was very kind of her, it too had just a few days MOT left and the rear arm bearings were stuffed along with lots of other stuff, however the point I'm making is, at that time (bit like today) scrap is worthless and it would have cost her decent money to get the car towed away. probably the 103 miles to Inverness.