rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Not bx chat but Citroen van chat advice

Post by rutter123 »

I am currently searching for a new van in place of my old tired 53 plate Transit, i have found locally a Citroen Relay 08 plate SWB with 61k FSH (Citroen garage 3 stamps) within my budget, it is the smaller 100ps 2.2hdi engine which is great for fuel economy. In general a really tidy 1 owner van which has been well cared for and only light duty work. My question is how are these vans generally for reliability as ive heard some horror stories regarding the hdi engines ?A colleague of mine has the bigger 120ps engined model which has quite happily clocked up in excess of 200k with no major probs as yet, yet someone else i know has had nothing but trouble with a similar Peugeot Boxer with the same hdi engine inc dual mass flywheel needing replacement and probs with the ecu and fuel pump at less than 100k.

I will be clocking up approx 60k's yearly and intend to run it into the ground as i did my Transit with 373k's on the clock.

I assume this is the same engine as fitted to the later fwd Ford Transits badged up as Duratorq models?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Not bx chat but Citroen van chat advice

Post by Kitch »

Don't know much, but when we bought a big van, we went for the Fiat as it had the Iveco lump in it. Much more durable, but same van. That was a 2005 though, so whether they ended up sharing engines later on or not I don't know for sure.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Richb
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Richb »

Hi.

I run the smaller hdi's. At the mo 2x206 2.0 hdis and my dad has a 407hdi.
The 2nd 206 i bought with a blown engine as the timing belt had snapped. Took me ages to swap due to other projects but runs a treat amd fairly easy to work on.
My other 206 ive had from new, my dad has had his 407 from new. Both have been very reliable, but weve bith serviced them rigourously. The only niggling faults on both have been the odd sensor issue. And neither have stopped them. Mine was a temp sensor and my dads a boost level sensor.
The boxer has over long service intervals and must be run with fully synthetic oil. Which isnt that much dearer than semi nowadays. Reduce the intervals a little and they will go on for ever.
The only thing i would suggest you invest in, if you are keeping it long term. Is peugeot planet software and a dongle along with an old xp laptop. The gear costs from £50 (ex china) or £60ish (uk) both from evilbay. To get codes read by pug costs about this much for one go, so it will pay you back in the long term to have it.
2001 Peugeot 206 2.0 Hdi
1999 Peugeot Expert Van
1993 Citroen BX 1.9TXD
1992 Citroen BX 1.9TXD
1980 Triumph TR8
1972 Triumph Stag
1967 Triumph GT6
Pluto
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1992 BX19TGD ESTATE 178k
2014 Fiat Ducato Sportivo

Post by Pluto »

Kitch wrote:Don't know much, but when we bought a big van, we went for the Fiat as it had the Iveco lump in it. Much more durable, but same van. That was a 2005 though, so whether they ended up sharing engines later on or not I don't know for sure.
Fiat still use Iveco engines in the bigger vans, I have a 2014 Fiat Ducato with the 2.3 150ps engine and it's an Iveco lump. The engine is a peach, bags of torque and plenty of umph!

A friend of mine has 2008 peugeot boxer with the 100ps hdi engine. It's just clocked 190k with no major mechanical problems. I think it's luck of the draw, sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get a 'friday' van!!