Brake pipes required

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
FireBladeSteve
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX 16 TGS

Saab 900 S

Porsche 911 Carrera 2

BX 16 TRS in 1996 (F343 HDS)

Brake pipes required

Post by FireBladeSteve »

Hi, I need 1 brake pipeand was thinking of replacing some others just as a matter of course. Are there any firms still making/supplying them? Many thanks
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Brake pipes required

Post by rutter123 »

The old steel pipes can be replaced with cupra nickel lines Pleiades on 01487831239 they are in Sawtry Cambs do mail order speak to Martin, pipoes made to order and supplied in a coil nice to work with as they are quite flexible and wont rust.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
FireBladeSteve
Confirmed BX'er

Saab 900 S

Porsche 911 Carrera 2

Post by FireBladeSteve »

Thanks VERY much for that- can i just confirm a detail? The mechanic that's doing it described the pipe as "Drivers side front to fleix and back to spliter" (I assume that means 'flex' and splitter'. He described the issue as being that the end of the existing pipe having a kind of "bulbous" end attached to it/part of it, which had snapped off, thus requiring a new pipe. From your knowledge, is that what Pleiades makes?

Either way, i'll ring Martin on Monday- many thanks indeed!
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Pleiades can make up pretty much any of the metal pipes so long as you can confirm exactly which pipe you need, they have a list of how long each pipe is and which fittings it will require each end. As to which pipe you are referring to i dont know im not aware of any front metal pipes having a bulbous end as they are all 3.5mm pipes. I suspect it may be a front brake line but cant be certain. There is not a lot Martin dosen't know about Citroen hydraulics so he should be able to help.
FireBladeSteve
Confirmed BX'er

Saab 900 S

Porsche 911 Carrera 2

Post by FireBladeSteve »

Great, thanks very much. Yes it's a brake line, so i'll cross my fingers that they can rustle those up too...
FireBladeSteve
Confirmed BX'er

Saab 900 S

Porsche 911 Carrera 2

Post by FireBladeSteve »

Thanks for your help- brake line ordered now!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Any local motor factor can make up brake pipes, I'm surprised your mechanic wasn't able to get one.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote:Any local motor factor can make up brake pipes, I'm surprised your mechanic wasn't able to get one.
Really? I've worked at quite a few and I've never known any that can make brake pipes. They'll sell the copper stuff on a reel, if you're lucky, but even that's a dying breed now, as is rubber fuel hose.

And then, even if they did make them, would they make them with the Citroen flare?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Kitch wrote:
Defender110 wrote:Any local motor factor can make up brake pipes, I'm surprised your mechanic wasn't able to get one.
Really? I've worked at quite a few and I've never known any that can make brake pipes. They'll sell the copper stuff on a reel, if you're lucky, but even that's a dying breed now, as is rubber fuel hose.

And then, even if they did make them, would they make them with the Citroen flare?
Yep we can get brake pipes made up at all our local factors, you simply take your old sample pipe in and they match it, I didn't know it was any different elsewhere?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote:
Kitch wrote:

Yep we can get brake pipes made up at all our local factors, you simply take your old sample pipe in and they match it, I didn't know it was any different elsewhere?
Never known a place to do that before. All sorts of liability issues could arise out of that, and for the sake of a couple of quid profit there's no way in hell I'd take a chance if I owned a factors.

We don't have any old solo-factors round here these days, its all Andrew Pages and Motaquips of the world. I think they'd laugh at me if I asked them to make me a pipe! AP don't even sell the pipe on a reel!

FireBladeSteve
Confirmed BX'er

Saab 900 S

Porsche 911 Carrera 2

Post by FireBladeSteve »

That's a new one on me!
FireBladeSteve
Confirmed BX'er

Saab 900 S

Porsche 911 Carrera 2

Post by FireBladeSteve »

Anyway, thanks Rutter123 for the tip- brake pipe was paid for, made and posted out yesterday, and received today! Being fitted now, as I type...
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Kitch wrote: We don't have any old solo-factors round here these days, its all Andrew Pages and Motaquips of the world. I think they'd laugh at me if I asked them to make me a pipe! AP don't even sell the pipe on a reel!
We still have a lot of solo owner operator factors round here, the one I use is quite possibly the best shop I have ever been to in my life, It is called Radcliffe Motor Supplies but it has only ever been known as 'Jocks' after the founding owner even though he has been dead many years and the shop has never been called that. It has been run by Jock's 2 sons ever since they left school nearly 40 years ago and they are simply brilliant. They have a collective huge wealth of knowledge and can supply absolutely any part available even if it is main dealer only through their own accounts. Mike and John are often seen outside the shop fitting wiper blades for little old ladies , replacing bulbs for people etc. for no extra cost. Their shop is an old terraced shop crammed with everything you could possible need, they will sell you one pop rivet, bolt, washer , fuse , whatever you want no need to buy a pack of 10. They quite simply couldn't be better.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

That's my kind of shop, unfortunately very few and far between nowadays.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote:
Kitch wrote: We don't have any old solo-factors round here these days, its all Andrew Pages and Motaquips of the world. I think they'd laugh at me if I asked them to make me a pipe! AP don't even sell the pipe on a reel!
We still have a lot of solo owner operator factors round here, the one I use is quite possibly the best shop I have ever been to in my life, It is called Radcliffe Motor Supplies but it has only ever been known as 'Jocks' after the founding owner even though he has been dead many years and the shop has never been called that. It has been run by Jock's 2 sons ever since they left school nearly 40 years ago and they are simply brilliant. They have a collective huge wealth of knowledge and can supply absolutely any part available even if it is main dealer only through their own accounts. Mike and John are often seen outside the shop fitting wiper blades for little old ladies , replacing bulbs for people etc. for no extra cost. Their shop is an old terraced shop crammed with everything you could possible need, they will sell you one pop rivet, bolt, washer , fuse , whatever you want no need to buy a pack of 10. They quite simply couldn't be better.
Sounds great. I'm amazed they can keep going! Most places like that died off years ago, but then it's bloody expensive to run a business down here. Ask me how I know :lol:
Weather might be great, crime might be low, standard of living might be decent and 4G might be available in most towns. But HOW MUCH?! are my business rates! And I don't even get a wheely bin. :evil: