Buggered BX

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Buggered BX

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've been away at the 2cv world meeting for the last week so the Hurricane has been sat on the drive.

It started fine and did about 8 miles at which point i stopped at some traffic lights and the engine died.

It re-started straight away but would now seem to be misfiring. Its got absolutely no power, flat out its struggling to crack 45 as i nursed it back home.

I've had a quick look at the leads which appear to be ok. Going to have a more thorough look now.

Any ideas other than the obvious plugs/leads? The water temp is normal so i'm assuming its not the head gasket.
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Appreciating what you said about the leads I had a 1.9 petrol BX a while back which did the same. Sometimes it would be ok but mostly the symptoms were exactly the same as yours. Turned out to be a plug lead which was breaking down. It eventually led to the demise of the engine (long story) which was a right pain in the derriere.
It could also be something as simple as a duff plug or possibly the coil. Like I say I know I`m stating the nobvious and I know what you`ve said you`ve elimnated but always worth trying the simple things first. One tip I was always told was to get it ticking over and take the leads off one at a time (and then replacing it again after a few seconds) with it running and see if you remove one lead and the engine doesn`t try and die on you. If you remove three and the engine dies and you remove the forth and it makes no difference you`ll know at least which plug/lead/cylinder is casuing the trouble. I don`t know what the coil`s like to get to but if you have a spare try that. Again obviously if the head gasket has gone hopefully the oil or the water will give it away.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Mines the coil pack model.

I think the leads are ok but as i've not done them since i've had the car i'll change them as a matter of course.

I've not got an ECU warning light on the dash.

Where is the ignition module located?
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

This might seem daft but could the cambelt have jumped or the tensioner slipped?
Over and out from me
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Forget about the cambelt slipping. It that was the case - it would continue to slip and make valves non-functional ...
It just dont do that. Instead it snaps.

HG failures does not give such symptoms on that engine type ...
Besides the coolant would 99.95% sure be expelled on a HG problem.
It's either an ignition miss - or fuel starvation problem.

Use the old trick running the engine hood open in deepest dark night - any visible arcing ?
Coilpack fitted engines does not have an ignition module. The coilpack runs directly off the ECU.
But these engine types have a flywheel sensor which is known to pack up. Commonly they start giving a strange ohm reading before they lay off completely.
BTW water (and corrosion) on this sensor connector can do strange things ...

The poor BX has been left on the driveway for a couple of weeks - and just like here the rain has been pouring down within last couple of weeks - ehh ?
Check the fuel for any water contamination !
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

With either the flywheel sensor or coil pack would this be logged though an ECU fault?
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Tonight i've changed the plugs, leads and coil pack all to no avail.

Any more ideas?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Ian_Fearn wrote:Tonight i've changed the plugs, leads and coil pack all to no avail.

Any more ideas?
Petrol and matches? If you take this route let me know if you have either left as I`ll be right behind you if I can`t mend my broken LHM pipes.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Whats wrong with yours Billy?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Check out the diesel filter thread below. Testing times for my normally super cool patience 8) :lol:
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Ian,

Have you checked the filter and/or fuel pump on this car?
Sounds as though you may have picked up a load of shyte that has settled in the bottom of the fuel tank after it's been left sitting for a while.
If that model is fuel injected, I suppose you are also aware that the actual injectors have a very fine filter fitted in the top of them also which if water or crap gets threough the first filter will almost certainly get caught by these.
Block filters will give the limited speed as though the brakes are on, sometimes (but not always) accompanied by a lot of spluttering and rough running when the power is applied.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Theres a big cylinder type filter under the back end beside the rear suspension ram, in the first instance I would give this a gentle blow through in the reverse direction to flow with my airline, people forget they are there.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Thanks for the advice but the story so far is that i dont appear to be getting any spark on the middle 2 cylinders.

Fueling isnt a problem, its absolutely stinks of unburnt petrol
Over and out from me
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Right !

You have an ignition miss -
With the coilpack (combo 4-lead coil) it would be either the LV connector - or the coilpack itself - at fault.
The LV connector is the +12V side of the coil - harmless to touch in personal safety terms. Look careful here for any corrosion ar failed wiring. It's a quite common problem.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak