Crumbling foam

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Crumbling foam

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I should do about the fragmenting black foam in the C pillar vents? Pull it all out? Should I replace it? and what with?

What do you chaps do when this cosmetic (or is it importantly functional too?) degradation occurs?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
M

Post by M »

The red one has had its foam replaced with aluminium mesh - it does the job and looks pretty good too.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

What's the best way of removing the vent panel - it seems it could crack easily... Aluminium mesh. Nice idea.... but I might Hammerite the mesh black to keep the look.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Take all the C pillar internal trim off and you can see the fixing screws, the trim is also bonded at the leading edge with the worlds strongest mastic and is a sod to move. Use a knife blade to carefully ease it away from the body as they can break. The vent is very awkward to remove once the mastic has freed and you will need to use said knife again to manoeuvre it out. Not an easy or quick job but they look so nice done :wink:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
M

Post by M »

Mr B wrote: Not an easy or quick job but they look so nice done :wink:
Indeed they do...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`m liking that Marty. Now, where`s my screwdriver............
Vauxhall apologist.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

I fitted a much denser black aluminium screen. Got it in a hardware store selling oil lamps. Ah yes, oil lamps ... two coats as goalposts ... mum calling you in for tea ..... :roll:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Actually that`s a very timely post Philip. Put the stereo on in the GTi Friday, singing away like a good `un to Shabba Ranks and all of a sudden the roof starts vibrating!
WTF is that I wondered, and when I picked up Mrs Cavmad she discovered the problem seems to lie in the n/s/r speaker which I think is located in the C pillar.
Do all BX`s have a speaker here? If so this could be an ideal `two jobs at once` dooberry.
I have enough BX parts to last me a lifetime so not unduly woried about sourcing one, anyone know if front speakers are the same?
Vauxhall apologist.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Marty wrote:
Indeed they do...
All my own work :wink:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanking you Sir, another job for me in the week. Be glad to get back to work for the rest!
Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

Mr B wrote:
Marty wrote:
Indeed they do...
All my own work :wink:
Sorry Mr. B - should have made that clear, all I have done to BX so far is fix tax disc from falling off window!