Electrical gremlins. (Heater and Headlamps)

BX Tech talk
pauldaf44
My Cars: BX19 TGD Meteor

Electrical gremlins. (Heater and Headlamps)

Post by pauldaf44 »

I'm getting to the point now with my BX restoration project that it is nearly ready for the road. It would already be on the road apart from a couple of annoying niggles.

One is I have no main beam head lamps. Pull the switch to activate them and nothing happens at all side and dip beams are working fine. I have the dash apart at the moment. Testing with multimeter at the four wire connector, I have voltage at the blue wire and at two of the 3 yellow wires when the switch is at the relevant position. The fourth yellow wire, which I presume feeds the main beams, never goes live regardless of the position of the switch.

The other problem i'm having is the blower fan. To start with it just didn't work at all. I discovered the wiper contact from my PCB behind the rotary switches was missing so sourced a new PCB for it. Once I fitted the new PCB I still wasn't getting anything from the fan then all of a sudden for about 4 seconds my fan started working and adjusted via the speed dial. Now though its on as soon as the ignition is on and running at full speed, I have discovered the only way to not have the fan running full tilt whilst the ignition is on is to remove the fuse, this is the case even with the connector plug for the PCB disconnected.
My current fleet.

1991 BX19 TGD Meteor
1995 Land Rover Defender
1967 DAF 44 Variomatic
1975 DAF 44 Variomatic
1975 Triumph Spitfire MKIV
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Electrical gremlins. (Heater and Headlamps)

Post by Way2go »

The blower fan speed control is accomplished via a transistor located in the air duct. It sounds as if your transistor has gone short circuit if the blower is continuously running full speed.

With regard to the headlight feed, I cannot remember but I am sure someone who has done this recently (or the retrofit relay wiring mod) will be along soon to advise you. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
pauldaf44
My Cars: BX19 TGD Meteor

Post by pauldaf44 »

Update on this I thought the blower was running full speed, it isn't. Fixing the earth on the PCB behind the dials gave me a faster fan speed in the max position. So I now have a two speed fan that runs loud or really loud, I still can't switch it off short of removing the fuse though.

Headlights, I have confirmed the stalk is at fault As the main beam works fine if a jury rig a generic rocker switch in place of the stalk temporarily. Has anyone on here ever successfully rebuilt one of these stalks?
My current fleet.

1991 BX19 TGD Meteor
1995 Land Rover Defender
1967 DAF 44 Variomatic
1975 DAF 44 Variomatic
1975 Triumph Spitfire MKIV
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

pauldaf44 wrote: Has anyone on here ever successfully rebuilt one of these stalks?
I had a look at this a few weeks back when the headlight mainbeam on/off switch became very difficult and unreliable. When switching up to main beam it needed several tries and a bit of force to make it work. I tried a bit of cleaning and lube to no effect and decided that the chances of getting the assembly apart without terminal damage was nil never mind whether I could fix the problematic mechanism inside.
So like you I just fitted another switch.

I can't help with the blower except to say that just about all faults are either : earthing, power regulator tranny ( usually the earthing strip corroded) or the speed control dial - in that order.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I have several headlamp stalk switches if you need one all good and fully working. £15 posted. I also have heater several heater control panels.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability