Pipe from power steering Ram

BX Tech talk
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 TRI, Mk1 MG Metro, Mk1 Metro VP, Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Lexus LS400

Pipe from power steering Ram

Post by motorgnome »

G'Day from Australia guys!

Tidying up my BX 19 & found a random clear plastic pipe, unconnected in the engine bay. I traced it back to the boot on the end of the power steering Ram. Is it a return pipe & is supposed to be connected??.. Or is it just a breather pipe??

Cheers
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Pipe from power steering Ram

Post by Jaba »

That should be connected somewhere. Looking at the schematic it goes to a T piece that connects the return from the rear suspension cylinders and the steeering ram to one of the two rear facing octopus connectors.
HTH.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 TRI, Mk1 MG Metro, Mk1 Metro VP, Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Lexus LS400

Post by motorgnome »

Thank you for that... I'll have a good look & trace the return's from the rear cylinders (translucent pipe?) & see if I can find where it belongs. It's was looped up over the drivers strut tower & tucked down behind the brake valve. (it has windscreen washer tubing attatched to it too make it longer) .I'm surprised that it was dry, I would have expected it to be dribbling LHM, that's why I thought it might have been just a breather.

Where does one find a schematic on the hydraulic system?. I have a Haynes manual, but haven't seen it in there.. Though I haven't looked thoroughly I must admit.

Cheers
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

There is a breather that connects to the cap of the LHM reservoir and then goes towards the strut mounting. But your pipe cannot be that one if it goes to the steering ram.
Look in the Haynes for the piping run diagram.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.