Sway bar mounting bushes

BX Tech talk
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 TRI, Mk1 MG Metro, Mk1 Metro VP, Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Lexus LS400

Sway bar mounting bushes

Post by motorgnome »

Hi again from down under!

I've got my front suspension completely apart, chasing sticky suspension that I thought was dry front struts.
When I say completely apart, I even have the crossmember out (cleaning that). I've found that the front sway bar mounting rubbers are really tight. I pulled them apart, cleaned & lubricated them, & they then moved quite smoothly & I was well pleased with myself. I went back a couple of hours later to find that they were really stiff again. Am I worrying about nothing?
I just used rubber grease to lube them.

Cheers, Jason
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Sway bar mounting bushes

Post by Kitch »

Sway bar??
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I did a double take on that too. :) I think it must be an antipodean expression for the Anti-Roll Bar. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 TRI, Mk1 MG Metro, Mk1 Metro VP, Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Lexus LS400

Post by motorgnome »

Hahaha...YES!..Anti Roll bar... You Poms are so.... "Proper". I have friends in Britain, & we often chat on messenger.. There are SO many small differences in the "Lingo" (language). "I've got a blow in my back box...) WTF!.. Translated to OZ, "I've got a hole in my rear muffler" "Ramp"= hoist,
motor factor=spare parts seller, Breakers = wreckers, blah blah blah..

So back to my "anti Roll Bar" mounting bushes..Are they meant to be that tight that you cannot move them by hand? I have the bar in a vice (painting it as well) & I have to use a large set of "Multi Grips" (large adjustable pliers) to rotate the alloy mounting on the bar. I'm a mechanic & have my own shop, so I have replaced plenty of mounting bushes on "normal" cars, & they are no where near as tight as the BX's
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er

Post by motorgnome »

Hahaha...YES!..Anti Roll bar... You Poms are so.... "Proper". I have friends in Britain, & we often chat on messenger.. There are SO many small differences in the "Lingo" (language). "I've got a blow in my back box... WTF!.. Translated to OZ, "I've got a hole in my rear muffler" "Ramp"= hoist,
motor factor=spare parts seller, Breakers = wreckers, blah blah blah..

So back to my "anti Roll Bar" mounting bushes..Are they meant to be that tight that you cannot move them by hand? I have the bar in a vice (painting it as well) & I have to use a large set of "Multi Grips" (large adjustable pliers) to rotate the alloy mounting on the bar. I'm a mechanic & have my own shop, so I have replaced plenty of mounting bushes on "normal" cars, & they are no where near as tight as the BX's
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Well, sway bars are something totally different (aka Panhard rod or track control arm), so it's not so much a case of terminology, more a case of the wrong term!

To answer your question, I've never played with one so can't answer you for sure, but I would say if you've painted the bar, the thickness of the paint might be closing the tolerances up a bit too much.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

They call them sway bars in the US of A, mind you they calla liquid gas..... [-X
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....