Sunroof leaking

BX Tech talk
thefatman
My Cars: BX 1.9 TGD

Sunroof leaking

Post by thefatman »

Hello

I'm new to BX ownership, bought one last week and i've been enjoying driving it but the sunroof is leaking.

Firstly i've blown through the tubes to make sure they are not clogged up, it was still leaking after this. The rear passenger side seemed to be the worst. Now i've pulled down the headlining and noticed that the rear drain tube loosely pushes into the tray, rather than being sealed in. Is this correct or should it be held / stuck into place?

Thanks for any pointers it'll be nice to enjoy driving it without it being like a swimming pool :D
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Re: Sunroof leaking

Post by Dave_16v »

Logic suggests it should be reasonably firm but it is a long time since I repaired a BX sun roof so I cannot be sure. However, there is some very good info in the link below. You may have blown through but it could still be there is a blockage forming sufficient to back water up.
Interesting it is the rear passenger side too as you will see.

Take a look at the info here
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Sunroof leaking

Post by rutter123 »

The bx sunroof is designed to leak into the head lining, it is not a watertight seal on the sunroof glass itself, leaking into the car is usually a sign of the 4 drain tubes becoming blocked 2 to rear and 2 to front corner pillars, access to these drain tubes is via removal of the rear light clusters and removal of the front trim panels in the sides of the front footwells, a clear plastic tube of approx. 1/2 inch diameter is what you are looking for. once located just simply pull them through the aperture and blow up them and this should dislodge any debris blocking the tops of the drain tubes.
This is a common problem and I tend to clear the tubes on a yearly basis otherwise rust issues are inevitable if not already prevalent, you may need some long nose pliers to pull the tubes through as access is a little tricky.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability