pipe join

BX Tech talk
barry badger
BXpert

pipe join

Post by barry badger »

Does anyone have any experience/opinion of joining bx metal hydraulic pipes? there's a shop on ebay selling copper nickel pipe with connectors for splicing in new sections of pipe. I'm currently carrying out much welding on my txd for its mot and noticed one of the front to rear pipes has been rubbing on the rear subframe quite badly and needs replacing. I was looking for copper pipe on ebay and came across this repair option.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: pipe join

Post by rutter123 »

Not something I would recommend, it's just as easy to replace the complete pipe for what they cost
Pleaides in Sawtry can supply the pipes to length and ready to fit.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I think it depends on the type of connector as it has to withstand the huge pressure in the pipe.
I bought a 3.5mm compression connector some years ago but have never had the nerve to fit it anywhere yet. Although I would not rule it out for the front to rear metal return pipe if that got damaged. But it is better to play safe really.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

If you mean the compression type that uses a steel cutting ring / olive we used to use them all the time when I was a Plant Machinery fitter on hydraulic plant when steel pipes got damaged on excavators without issue. I've never used any as small as Citroen feed pipes though.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

There used to be a kit you could buy for a buy the side of the road repair which was a flare tool for Citroen hydraulic flare and a union piece. Cut a section of bad pipe out, flare either side, screw back together.

Thing is, in my experience, when you fix one hole another soon finds its way out. I understand this has been a chaffing issue, but still, do you want to do the job twice?

Pleiades will sell you a pre-flared cupronickel pipe of the right length for not a lot of money. Might be worth taking the plunge? Cupronickel is a far better solution for our hydraulics and much more flexible than the original pipe. It doesn't give quite as neat of a run as the original pipes, but will likely outlast the car!