TGD Turbo Reluctant Sale - Unfinished project

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

TGD Turbo Reluctant Sale - Unfinished project

Post by BX Bandit »

Runner, but with no MOT and needs mechanical and cosmetic work.

Some of the restoration can be seen here {url] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18256[/url]

For a multitude of reasons, I need to part company with my TGD Turbo project. My project was to change a White 1.7tgd into a White 2.1 TZD Turbo in Hurricane trim with 16v bumpers. I have ALL the kit to finish this off.

The Good:
EVERY square inch of the underside of the body has be treated/welded/seam sealed/painted/undersealed and all box sections/cavities treated with dinitrol. Most of this work can be seen on the blog post linked above. I dropped the fuel tank and rear subframe. All surface rust was treated (i.e. eliminated) with Dinitrol de-ox gel. Double primed and seam sealed along all seams.

She's an ex-TGD spec - swapped to black with black trim all round. Seats are the TZD style of interior, black with red pinstripe with matching door cards. Excellent condition bar one 4mm round 'scar' on one of the seats.

1)Electric windows in the front and rear. One touch BOTH sides on the front.
2)Heated electric door mirrors with reverse actuated dipping feature as on XM and Xantia (although this was reluctant last time i checked)
3)I have fitted the air con and re-circ equipment and replaced the rotten metal re-circ flaps with stainless steel.
All the a/c kit is there inc a new tx valve but i never finished installing the pipework. I have a r134a pump which is fitted and is cross compatible with r124 refrigerant which I planned to use.
In a bid to make the car less prone to it's usual problems:
4)I re-piped the traditional octopus for a kunifer return piping system. So the only bits of perishable rubber are 2 inch long sections that can be replaced, quickly and cheaply. (clearly the front strut return pipes are still perishable rubber)
5)New pinion valve seal fitted.
6)I fitted under scuttle heated screen washer jets to avoid the usual clogging of the windscreen wiper pivot unit. I have NOT run the electrics for the washer jets but I intended this to be done via a relay that would be energised when the rear heated screen was switched on.
7)Vented discs and calipers on front
8) 6J speed lines in silver
9) 2.1 engine in a bored 1.9 block, New Bosch mechanical VE pump, Xsara picaso driveshafts, PUG 307 hdi gearbox (5 speed) and 110hdi flywheel/brand new clutch. The original Garrett T2 turbo is fitted. However I have a GT15 turbo with the correct exhaust flange and intercooler tube fitments - this should be a direct bolt on replacement and should provide better delivery than the T2. The GT15 is not new so I would recommend a refurb.

The Bad:
10) The engine starts and runs very well, however due to a bad head, the oil and water are slowly mixing. I believe I mistakenly ran the head on a previous engine for 5 minutes with out coolant (not this engine). A new head will sort this.
11) If you stop the engine when hot, she wont budge! I **think** this is due to a crank shaft thrust washer issue. There is no problem when cold and so long as she's running, you wouldn't think there's a problem. This would entail a dropping the crankshaft and replacing the erroneous thrust washer. In-expensive and relatively simple.
12) there is a cv joint noise from the n/s drive shaft. A replacement drive shaft should replace this.
13) the rear height corrector has a weep and was an advisory on the last MOT.
14) needs 2 new tyres (but has an originally tyre on a genuine 16v steel spare)

The ugly:
15) She ideally needs two replacement front wings as both current ones have deformities. I have good spare wings but they will need painting.
16) The original drivers door was reversed into. I have a temporary door on the car currently but still have the original. My plan was to repair the original door. For some reason the black around the doors hasn't faded on this car so it would be best to keep the original to match the others.
17) There is the usual surface rust at the bottom of the b pillars - nothing that would need welding - just neutralising/filling and painting. These rust spots are not holes, just surface.
18) The front 16v bumper is not in the best of shape and will need re-working - but it is salvageable.

Bits I forgot:
16v steering wheel and gauges, only oil pressure not working as not plumbed in.
intermittent relay fitted to rear wiper
needs new hazard warning switch
has non-broken glove box - to be fitted.
an intermittent earth fault that interferes with the internal fan motor/re-circ motors.

I know you'll probably want photos, I'll try and sort something out. She's quite grimey at the moment but I know she cleans up well.
I will be sad to see her go, but health and inclination are lacking.
Probably best suited to those of a mechanical nature.
The car comes with a host of spares - full to the brim - everything must go!
There is a 1.7td engine and gearbox to go with the car too if the price is right. I'm not after much, but there has been a lot of effort and spare cash spent on the car (the engine re-bore cost £190 alone!) which must be considered.

I'm open to offers via pm if anyone is interested. Don't be shy! I would dearly like the car to go to someone who has the willingness and skills to get her back on the road. I have the skills but sadly no inclination.

I *may* be selling my 16v too (needs lots of work) pm me if interested but she's not definitely for sale just yet.

I will make myself available to whoever buys the car to lend my support via phone or email to help them finish the car if needed. I spent much time researching, measuring, searching for parts etc to get the 2.1 engine and hdi parts to match. This is a reversable project - in that the orignal 1.7td engine, gear box, driveshafts can be re-fitted as a straight swap with out modification.

I apologise for the all the spelling mistake. :oops:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Rooky1
My Cars: 2011 Citroen DS4 2.0hdi
1973 Mg B Gt

Re: TGD Turbo Reluctant Sale - Unfinished project

Post by Rooky1 »

Hi..
How much are you thinking you want for the car? Also where in the UK are you?
Cromerbrian
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen ds,ax,visa,bx

Post by Cromerbrian »

Hi an interesting project,what the advantage of the2.1 engine? I’m interested as my bx has just gone up in flames on the m1,would 500 buy it ?some pics would be good also,sorry if it’s low will go to a good home I have a visa ax,ds and Sm!
Thanks

Best wishes

Brian
Cromerbrian
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Cromerbrian »

Hi could I ring you about this please? Thanks
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Hi,
Yes, I pm'd you earlier. Check your messages and let's go from there👍.
Any problems just post back on here and I'll try to help.
I'll not put my number up in public though!
Thanks for your interest so far, I'm really relieved. 🤞
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Car is still available but time is running out. She has to go by October come what may.

Please get in touch to save her [-o<
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

This is still available if any one is interested. please pm me.
1990 BX TGD White
Cromerbrian
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Cromerbrian »

Hi could you send me the log book and the Uber to tax it please plan to pick it up tomorrow looking god thanks Brian