Series 1 switch pack removal/refitting

BX Tech talk
6speedmanual
My Cars: BX Sport
Pugs - 406, 306, 205

Series 1 switch pack removal/refitting

Post by 6speedmanual »

I have a a failed horn switch on my Sport.
It is sort of intermittent insofaras I did get one short toot by wiggling it but no more.
I have acquired a replacement 2nd hand swich which makes/breaks ok.
So..... Tips and tricks to remove and refit the switch(es)?????
I have tugged and prised at them in various ways but am reluctant to go at it too much for fear of ending up with a footwell full of shattered plastic! 😂
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Series 1 switch pack removal/refitting

Post by Jaba »

Are you sure that it is the switch as it could be the horn or horns and the earth wiring to them under the front wing. I only know how to remove the switch on a Mk2 BX and it is a fairly easy job but if you have a Mk1 style of dash it looks to be more fiddly. Haynes might be a good bet for you.
Its online here: https://www.mirari.fr/vVqv
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
6speedmanual
Pugs - 406, 306, 205

Post by 6speedmanual »

Yes, highly confident it's the switch. The previous owner said it occasionally worked if you wiggle it.
The only peep I got from it was when manipulating the switch to try to remove it.
It is possible it is a poor connection of the switch terminal blades to the binnacle but need to withdraw the switch to deal with this too.

Handy link to pdf Haynes manual. Thanks!

Peter
6speedmanual
Pugs - 406, 306, 205

Post by 6speedmanual »

Ah, great. Quite a good photo sequence of Series1 binnacle switch gear disassembly on 13.8 to 13.9.
Will have a go in next round of daylight! 😂
6speedmanual
Pugs - 406, 306, 205

Post by 6speedmanual »

Jaba wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:24 pm Are you sure that it is the switch as it could be the horn or horns and the earth wiring to them under the front wing. I only know how to remove the switch on a Mk2 BX and it is a fairly easy job but if you have a Mk1 style of dash it looks to be more fiddly. Haynes might be a good bet for you.
Its online here: https://www.mirari.fr/vVqv
It was the switch AND a poor earth under the wing. So double trouble!

Switch was quite deceptive as it passed all continuity and resistance tests but would not transmit enough current under load for horns to work. Non-serviceable swich was dismantled and serviced - quite bad arcing marks on contacts. Cleaned up and some silicone contact paste used to prevent corrosion. Ok now.

Twin horns, both capable of earthing through their brackets but neither was earthing correctly. Citroën fitted an earth cable between them - belt and braces in case of one bad earth but no good when two! 😂 That kind on on-cost can't have been good for their relationship with PSA accountants!