Window winders

BX Tech talk
davek-uk
Confirmed BX'er

Window winders

Post by davek-uk »

On checking the windows of the cheepie BX I find that the nearside (LHS) are working fine but the two offside are in poor shape.

I've kinda sorted the rear and dosed the runners with anti-rust. It works now even if it sounds crap! :)

The fronts are electric and the drivers door is real pain. It goes half way up and skips on the motor cog :x . I've had it all apart and out of the door and none of the cog teeth seem unduly worn. Fitting it together, out of the car, I notice that the guide cover above the motor cog was high and allowing the gear arm to skip above the cog. So I pressed it back, put it all together (sod of a job on your own trying to get the wheels on the runners) and IT DOES EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT DID BEFORE!! :evil:

I'm assuming some of the control arms are bent somewhere (although they looked straight) and when the window gets to half way up it isn't pushing straight. As a result the winder gear arm must be running at an angle to the motor cog and eventually pushes itself up over the motor cog.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it? I'm going to have another go tonight but I don't really expect to solve it. :oops:
Dave

Xantia 1.9TDLX Estate (97) - 192K@42mpg - Boosted & on vegoil
Berlingo Multispace 2.0 Hdi (04) - 95K - the weekend car
Berlingo Multispace 1.6, 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - currently ill
BX19TXD Estate (92) - 66K - SORN, what a waste!
M

Post by M »

Yep my old TZD - the front drivers didnt rune true and as a result the one touch function didnt (function).

Swaping the regulator out of a known good one isnt all that difficult - the secret is to use a zip tie to secure the mechanism against the spring about halfway along its travel. Getting the zip tie off again once its in the door frame is a little tricky - i used one of the wifes vegetable peeling knifes!

The pain is undoing the door trim without busting all the little plastic clips. Then unbolt the motor, unplug the electrical connections and then there are about 6 or so 10mm nuts to undo before the mechanism will probbably drop out. Should have taken some photos when I did the TZD.

As they say in the BOL - reassembly is the reverse of the proceudre :twisted:
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

A good trim tool works wonders, Marty.....
davek-uk
Confirmed BX'er

Post by davek-uk »

Cheers Marty, I thought I was going to get more trouble than I actually did. Pulled everything out and remodled the top lip of the motor above the drive gear with a lump hammer! Now it won't let the winder gear slip over the top. I fitted the levers to the motor and tensioned the spring.

Damn good idea about the ziptie, I don't think I would have thought of that!

It was a bit of a squeeze fitting it all back as one unit, but possible with the window out. I set it to low before I put the mechanism in the door and then inserted the glass. Pushing the hole unit to one side allowed me to enter the wheels in the runners and it was done.

I now have 4 working windows! :D Thanks.
Dave

Xantia 1.9TDLX Estate (97) - 192K@42mpg - Boosted & on vegoil
Berlingo Multispace 2.0 Hdi (04) - 95K - the weekend car
Berlingo Multispace 1.6, 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - currently ill
BX19TXD Estate (92) - 66K - SORN, what a waste!
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

davek-uk wrote:
Damn good idea about the ziptie, I don't think I would have thought of that!
I should have patented that idea :roll: :wink:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE