New symptom with the car!

BX Tech talk
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

New symptom with the car!

Post by Cornishbx16v »

hello chapps!! have finnally manages to shift the stuck tensioner bolt thats been holding me back for a while and got the old belt on for testing purporses!
so all timed up and with the plugs out turned over by the crankbolt for 2 revoloutoins as said in the manula and rechecked the timing and all was good! so after that turned it over a few more times with thew plugs out listening for any noises etc but heard none! (double checked the timing again!) so put other bits back on the car plugs back in etc and turned her over with baited breath!
now this is the new symptom! i still have the high pitch whinny sort of noise which leans itself to no compression, so what do you think the chances are of head gasket going too??? or is there anythign else that would lead to the symptom??? i dont have a compression tester to hand (infact i dont have one!) but may be able to sweet talk a neighbour to see if he has one??
any ideas and help gratefully recieved!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Timmo - I've had a look at your previous posts and this post - what work have you actually done? Did you replace the head?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Timmo in the trade i have seen engines which have had the timing belt snap and the machanical force of the impact of piston to valve caused the head bolts and thread to stretch a little which then leads to the head not being sealed properly on the head gasket but this was only on 2 occasions but it is an idea Oh yes and it was on Rovers as it was them i worked for. :oops:
You also could have a slightly bent valve which isnt seating properly and allowing the compression to seap out past the bent valve. :cry:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

thanks guys for the replies!
jeremy, at the mo mate what i have done is whip an old belt on and time it up and turn over to check for any obvious damage! but due to a stuck stripped allen bolt and not being welle nough to get out and finish what i started i havent been able to do that much until today!! loL!
Aaron, thanks mate! It does lean a lot on the bent valve side! i have been informed by some good mates of mine that know about these things that its the most probable case!
so am waiting on a full gasket set, belt and a few other bits to arrive, then need to get a water pump and head bolts and i'll have the head off and put my old spare one on in one go! (witht he help of my bro!)
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

No problem Timmo hope you get it all sorted you will have to post some pics of the head and valves when you get it out. :shock:
Take care and take it easy Matey. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I'm sure the valves will be bent - just think of the angles they work at ant the relative position of the piston. Good news is that the valves take the impact and with luck the damage stops there. Next problem is that there are 16 of the things.

I worked with a guy who bought a a 16 valve peugeot on which the belt had failed at idle. He found bent valves on 2 (I think) cylinders. If your belt failed while driving I'm certain that you will have the same. However I would expect the damage to be confined to those cylinders that had widely open valves when the belt snapped and would have thought that it was unlikely that the camshafts would have done anything other than stop dead.

Cylinder head gasket failure would almost certainly produce water problems as this is a wet liner engine and so has no block top face (ie each liner is surrounded by water and so any blow must end up in the water.)