BX TZD Driveshaft Question

BX Tech talk
roscoe
BXpert

BX TZD Driveshaft Question

Post by roscoe »

I have pulled my 16V parts car apart and the front driveshafts in it are in better shape (CV joints, center bearing), than my TZD ones. I'd like to swap them over, but don't know if they are the same or not - especially spline size. Anyone on here know if they are a straight swap over job? I'm also going to do the struts and lower control arms as the bushings are gone in the TZD - any easy ways to get the shaft/bushings out of the arm without the Citroen special tool?
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

They should fit fine, there were really only two types, high strength and regular ones, the GTI and TZD would have the stronger ones, hopefully with ABS bits on the CV joint, its a long time since I replaced those rubbers, I seem to remember a long piece of threaded bar, washers, a big vice and some swearing!
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think if you look at the catalogues you will find that the 16 valve and turbo-diesel shafts are the same. The only problem will be the ABS rotor.

I don't know how to get the wishbone bush shaft out - but the bushes themselves are the normal steel/rubber sandwhich and if they won't press out easily can be removed by cutting from the centre through the steel rings. I find plenty of oil/grease stops the rubber grabbing the hacksaw blade. When fitting the new ones - deep freeze them first and fit them straight from the freezer. They contract a fraction and will go in quite easily.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Ask Kitch, i seem to recall him saying that eurocarparts have seriously reduced the prices of their wishbones complete with bushes.
Over and out from me
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Thanks folks. The problem with gettting complete units with bushings sent over here (Australia) would be the shipping charges due to weight. I was also thinking of swapping over the 16V brake rotors and calipers as well so get advantage of the ventilated disks - even though it had ABS, it should make no difference in the TZD - just the ABS rotor behind the disk which should sort the driveshaft issue out.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

TZD/16V shafts are the same. The ABS bit on the CV does not cause a problem on a non-ABS car as I fitted an ABS TD shaft to a 19N/A diesel with no problem. N/A's drivers side shaft outer bit is a thinner shaft with a smaller CV joint. The near side shaft is also thinner with a smaller C/V. Phew!
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Thanks for that Dave - one less thing to worry about. Now to get the control arms off when the rain stops (funny how a drought breaks when you need to do some outside work :( )
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307