Engine swap?

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Engine swap?

Post by cavmad »

My 1.9TD BX is sitting here still all unloved (ahh, bless!) and now a thought has occured to me. As it not only requires repair to the rear strut assembly and it has no tax or MOT I`m wondering whether it would be worth taking the engine out and putting straight into my estate which has long MOT and taxed and could be used immediately? The 1.9TD also apparantly has 16V struts/brakes on the front which would be nice to swap over too and I suppose taking the (mint) 1.9 n/a engine currently in the estate and putting that into the TD may be worth it as I could let it go for restoration/repairs or just keep the n/a motor for future use.
Any thoughts as to whether it`s worth the effort? I`d love to put the TD motor into use and slotting it into the estate would be ideal i.m.h.o.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

If the 19TD body is in good nick it wouldn take much to get it running, just fit a new strut?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

All BX brake pads are the same.

All BX rear brakes are the same.

All BX front brakes are the same - except for the 16 valve which has ventilated front discs and consequently a front caliper which is simply wider.

ABS cars have different piping - which is wider in places and have different flexi-hoses.

All BX front struts are basically the same. There may be design differences dependant on age.

The only difference in rear struts are on estates.

Remarkable really - considering the power goes from about 55 BHP for an early 1.7 diesel to 160 BHp for a 16 valve! Parts men still won't believe me when I tell them the pads are the same for all and have to look it up!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I reckon the 1.9 would be really easy fix, probably an hours work, whereas swapping two engines, messing around finding a TD exhaust system for the estate, etc, etc, etc
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks chaps, I was obviously a little confused over the braking system on the TD as I recall the previous owner saying something about the 16V brakes being fitted to it.
Didn`t think about the exhaust Stewart, sounds like it`ll be too much mither swapping the motors over so I think I`ll leave `as is`.
I haven`t even cleaned it yet never mind anything else and it`s time I got back on to the less than scrupulous former keeper who didn`t include the spare doors he promised, still hasn`t forwarded the V5, ripped the stereo out when he said he`d leave it in and the car came without a battery or belt for the pump :evil: .
I get the impression he wasn`t happy with the final price (thirty odd quid) and probably saw his arse, his fault though for not putting a reserve on it.
Vauxhall apologist.