Aircon DIY Regassing

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Aircon DIY Regassing

Post by Way2go »

Has anyone tried these aircon gas replenishers from Halfords? They cost $30 ish for the can containing R134a gas and oil, including a pressure guage and connector. Reading the can it doesn't say you have to create a vacuum before refilling.
To use these though it will be necessary to find a source of nozzle converters for the BX (R12 to R134a) as the Halfords unit only has a R134a fitting.

Any thoughts and ideas whether this is an answer to getting the system running again without paying an arm & a leg?
Any updated good recommendations on where to get the fittings and o rings?
Is not using vacuum first going to be a problem or was that only necessary on the old and obsolete R12?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

No. That ain't the way to do it. There is a very good reason why the Halford's kit won't fit your BX. You will have to do a PROPER conversion first. Bodging it will only ruin everything, as you would know from having read up this topic in other postings.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tom wrote:No. That ain't the way to do it. There is a very good reason why the Halford's kit won't fit your BX. You will have to do a PROPER conversion first. Bodging it will only ruin everything, as you would know from having read up this topic in other postings.
I am well aware of the need to drain oil, change o rings etc which are alluded to in my posting.
This is a particularly unhelpful reply and really answers nothing. If you read the questions again & can provide positive answers to the questions posed then this will be better for forum members and myself!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I'm sure that reply will encourage others to reply and give you the information that you want.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Try this site for all supplies aircon......
http://www.car-air-conditioning-supplie ... p/home.php

You will probably get even more confused - it shows many types of recharge kit, 3 types of pag oil and an ester oil for r12 and r134a. You will find the adapters there as well.
You can buy 13kilos of R134 for 70GBP - enough for a lifetime of recharges !

I personally would not use a DIY option - if only because you need to vacuum out first AND check for leaks so you are not just wasting your time putting new gas in.

But the decision and risk is yours.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

If it's any help, I just had my BX's AC regassed - the guy put a UV dye in last time so was able to deal with the leaks - needed new 'O' rings - this time. He used RS24 and the total bill including VAT was £82. I think that's OK and considering the hassle involved in a DIY approach (and I have looked into it before), is something I'm happy to accept. Especially as it works a treat now! Whatever you decide to do, hopefully there will be no shortage of information on the Forum.

One thing though, I understood that just putting R134a in place of R12 isn't viable because of their differing properties. There have been lots of postings - especially from AlanS - which offer a wealth of hints and tips.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v