Strange Noise...

BX Tech talk
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Strange Noise...

Post by Calfskin »

Hi Peeps.

I would like some help, I don't know if I'm going paranoid or not. But in the last three days I have started to hear a metallic sounding clatter when I steer left or right. It doesn't do it all teh time, just occassionally but it is getting more frequent.

The best way to describe this noise is like two badminton rackets clattering together in the boot. However, to elimanate this theory I removed my rackets from teh boot as well as an errant Panda (don't ask!) and it still continued.

The steering feels fine to me (albeit I'm not the best person to ask for how a BX feels as this is my first) although coming from a Rover 100, it does feel slightly heavy sometimes (which I don't understand as the 100's steering is unassisted :S).

And on another note. I had Rene up to 95mph the other day and I swear the engine is more clattery since. No one else notices it but I do. I'll admit I can be paranoid when it comes to cars and this is probably a case of that but its driving me crazy! LOL

Thanks in advance. :)

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
He was the best car I ever owned.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

when where the fluids last changed/checked?
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

The bloke I bought it from in May had the spheres and that done last year so about 15k miles ago. I checked the fluids on sunday and they were fine. Mind you, it has only started in the last three days so I'd better check again...

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
He was the best car I ever owned.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Strange noise

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello. there is a horrible tin heat-shield on the steering rack arround the pinion area, this sometimes rubs on the flexable (hardy) joint and rattles,vibrates etc. If it's still there, on mine and my son's BX's they have been removed in the past because it seemed imposable to silence them. It might be that.
Cheers.
Geoff.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

In which case, Geoffrey, keep a pinion valve repair kit in stock. THe heat shield is there for a good reason as you WILL find out.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Strange noise.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Thank you Tom, now I am Worried a new rack was fitted 5000 miles ago and the chap that fitted it through the shield away!!! No it wasnt me.
Anyone got one I could buy?
Thank you.
Geoff.