Timing belt tits up!! HELLPPP!

Anything about BXs
joolie
BXpert

Timing belt tits up!! HELLPPP!

Post by joolie »

I was changing my timing belt today (well, the last 2 days) slowly working my way through the manual, finding out what was what.
The first time round it didnt work, timing was well out, smoked and clugged and stalled, so i fugured it was the tension or fitted wrong. So i tried again. . .
Second time was going o so well, stripped it down to the belt in record time, got better control over adjustment and a much better fit . . .

But then when it came to turning the front wheel, it was jammed, god knows what, crankshaft or camshaft ?? but anyways heres the really messed up bit, I decided to give it a whorl anyway, thought I should push the car a little and see if the jam unlocks, thaought about looking on the internet for some idea, naaa lets just give it a shot, so I turned the engine a couple of times. . . well quite a few, (someone out there knows whats coming next) . . . a loud kind of grinding twisting sound occoured, I had a look at the engine again and there. . a niceley bent camshaft sproket (or whatever its called).

So now that youve enjoyed reading that little story, and are grinning with smugness, please, let me know. . . what have I done!!!!!!

Is the camshaft shafted? is the whole engine buggered, or can it be fixed? why did it lock? and what should I have done?? aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

J

. . . I got a BX TZD Estate 1992 (1.7TD), I bought it in England last year, to pull a caravan over to Sweden loaded with all my worldy goods, and now I live in Stockholm. . .

please do not respond in emoicons!
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

did you leave the timing bolts in?

Did you forget to put a lock pin into the fly wheel?

Timing the XUD engine is the easiest job in the world, and guess who's the master at going it wrong . . .ME :D

if your lucky you've bounced the valves, however it sounds much more like you've done the head serious damage! But first check if you have left any of the three timing pins or the lock pin in place. If you havent then undo the three bolts holding down the rocker cover (the very top cover, which has no rockers under it, but thats what its called :D), this way you can see very easily if the cam is shattered or not!

If you have done it damage, then best bet is to find a new head and swap it straight over!
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

I didnt leave any pins in which is the strange thing, the wheel rotated (in 5th gear) unit it reached exactly the pin holes then locked.

I DID NOT HAVE A PIN IN THE FLYWHEEL, becase after 40 minutes I couldnt find the hole, It was covered by a whole load of cables and air ducts, which maybe I should have taken the time to remove.

Im thinking maybe if i didnt pin the flywheel, the gears jammed?

Ill take a look through the top, and post a photo later.

Thanks for reply.

J
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you've done exactly what i did then, cut a corner and lost in a very big manner!

The timing will be out and the pistons will have hit the valves, repeated forcing of the engine (starter motor and rocking) will have bent the valves and probably cracked the valve guides, its the most expensive mistake i have ever made on the BX!

Contact me by PM and perhaps i can have a complete head shipped out to you? Alternatively i'll be in Rotterdam in a month and a bit, i appreciate its a long drive but i could bring it with me?