My BX 16v

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

My BX 16v

Post by Kitch »

Ok, its finally come to this point. I did kind of a few months back, but the car developed a fault (now fixed) forcing me to withdraw it from sale, and since then I decided I would plod on and keep the car. However now the car is going and there are two options available to me. I prefer the first one, and thats what I'm offering up now.

For those not in the know, its a 1991 Ph2 BX 16valve in its original coat of Venetian red. The car was recently used in a feature on the TV program Used Car Roadshow. If you can obtain a copy, or catch it on www.bx16v.co.uk you'll get a good view of it.
Car comes with MOT till November, and for the value of it, I'll leave 6months tax on it.
It has full leather interior, genuine mates etc. The interior is very very clean.
Body has odd scratches and dings, but overally very straight and the colour is pretty good for its year. Polishes up well.

The nitty gritty:

The reason I'm selling is because the car has a number of faults that need sorting. I've spent over a year and a half fixing faults on this car and I'm throwing the towel in. Its not to say its an unreliable car, its more that I don't think I'm getting along with it. Maybe I'm too brutal with it, or expecting too much of an old car?

Either way, the PAS is dead. Has been for ages and the steering rack is now very tired. It needs changing, and I may supply a brand new one in the sale. This should sort the PAS too, as the pinion valve/ram are the only two components left that could cause the failure.

The car sprang a small LHM leak today (at the festival of speed of all places!). Don't know where its coming from, or if its serious or not. I'll have to take a look soon, but for now its a fault. It seems to be under the NSF corner of the car, so I'm guessing pipework to the pressure reg or something.

The exhaust manifold to downpipe joint squeaks like mad. Tried copper grease, new gasket and bolts etc.....it won't go away and you'll notice it if you drive it.

Theres a light hollow knock coming from the OSF wheel area. No idea what it is, its beeing doing it for a year.

The OSR radius arm bearing is dried. The wheel is still straight, but it creaks and the rear end is a bit stiff.

Thats about it for the faults. Other areas need tidying in general to make it a complete minter. The shell is rot free pretty much everywhere, its a very good shell. All dials work, ABS is fine, the engine pulls like a train and has been lightly breathed on. To be fair its the quickest 16v I've driven by some margin, although I've never driven a tuned one. Suspension and brakes work well, the struts are smooth the car rises and falls quickly.
Gearbox is good, I've only just fitted it (this was the problem from January that I have sorted.) Car has a new clutch too.
The engine was fully rebuilt last year. You can see one or two pics in the garage gallery, I have many many more to document the event.

Obviously any questions please ask. I'm hoping it can find a good home.......because the other option isn't as rosey.
If the car fails to sell soon(ish) I will break it for parts. Engine will probably go to a 205 or something like that....everything down to body panels. Reason is purely a financial one.

It would break my heart to do that, but what has really broken my heart is the fact it really doesn't seem to want to be my car anymore. Things aren't working, time to wake up and smell the coffee!

I haven't really got a figure in mind. The car is worth more than £600-£700 in parts so I will bear that in mind.

Pictures here:

http://www.bx16v.com/forum/garage.php?m ... cle&CID=15

Thanks[/url]
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Kitch are you serious??

Did you sort the issue with the gearbox parting company?
Over and out from me
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Bloooody hell Kitch :shock: Mind you when you know you and the car are not getting on then i agree with your actions been there in the past you just know if the car wants to be with you or not. :cry:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Just feels like it doesn't want to be here anymore really.

Ian, yes I've sorted that. Sourced another gearbox and loctited all the bolts in about 15lbs ft tighter than Haynes suggests!

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mistake I think Kitch, youre gonna miss it terribly once its gone!
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

Kitch, you can't break it, it's way, way too nice & way , way too rare, i'm nowhere near you & i can't afford it but i would beg, borrow & steal too save it.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Agreed, please don`t break it unless you absolutely have to. It`s a classic car and deserves saving.
It`s a heart breaking feeling when the car you`ve always wanted to own starts playing up. I had a Cavalier Calibre a few years ago (one of only 500 made) and it took me ages to find one for sale, let along a good one, and it all ended in tears. Luckily I managed to keep my patience and sold it as an MOT`d runner to an enthusiast, though breaking it (with a sledge hammer) was so close to happening.
Vauxhall apologist.
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

My XR4i was the same, i loved that car but if fixing her didn't bankrupt me, taking her for a test run did, at times i hated her for constantly letting me down but now i regret selling her.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Car still available. I've lost interest totally now myself, I'm pretty sure its me thats the problem with this car.

If no one buys it, I'll break it. What other choice do I have? I'd keep it somewhere in the hope that one day I'd recoup some interest and get everything sorted, but I don't have the space.