BX TZD Turbo estate - could I have your opinions please?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

BX TZD Turbo estate - could I have your opinions please?

Post by Daniel B »

Seen this ad, the mileage is very low, is it too low, ie would it make you cautious about the way it has been run?

1990 CITROEN BX 17 TZD TURBO
ESTATE, G reg. white, 1 careful owner, guaranteed less than 42000 miles, long MoT, Taxed End 2006,. £795

Thanks

Dan
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I can`t see why there should be any need to be cautious tbh Dan. I`d be interested to see if the vendor has ALL (not most) of the old MOT`s to verify mileage plus any history and any tell tale signs mileage seems genuine.
TZD`s, especially estates, do seem to command a premium and it does sound like a good buy on paper at least.
I`d personally suggest as long as test drive as possible and give it a good thrashing along the way with the radio and interior heater switched off so you can hear any unwarranted noises. As I say I think it sounds well worth the money and all being well you should get a good few years out of it.
Good luck if you go for it!
Vauxhall apologist.
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks cavmad - if I go and see it, it will be next Saturday, but I suspect it will be sold by then :roll:

I still don't have a definitive job situation, so I still don't know what and if I need to buy something!

Dan
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Worth going early and leaving a deposit? Good luck with the job situation by the way.
Vauxhall apologist.
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

Alas I work in London, and by the time I get home, it wouldn't be viable - plus evenings are currently filled with DIY anyway.

I quite like the idea of a C5 HDi, as mentioned in another thread, does anyone know if the 90 is the one not to have, as opposed to the 110?

Dan
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

Dan
Hate to say this, but I bought this Car on saturday, mileage is genuine, has full Cit service History, 1 owner from new and was garaged, has bearly been used in the last 2 years. The car was in the garage and covered in dust and dog hairs, but drove A1. I have got it home and given it a full valet and will probabaly start using it tomorrow. The owners were an old couple in their early 90's and could no longer drive. A real lucky find! :? ^^bx>
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

PICTURES required! :wink:

Welcome to the Club
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

AdamH wrote:Dan
Hate to say this, but I bought this Car on saturday, mileage is genuine, has full Cit service History, 1 owner from new and was garaged, has bearly been used in the last 2 years. The car was in the garage and covered in dust and dog hairs, but drove A1. I have got it home and given it a full valet and will probabaly start using it tomorrow. The owners were an old couple in their early 90's and could no longer drive. A real lucky find! :? ^^bx>
Hi Adam,
don't be sorry, I'm glad it's gone to a good home :D

I thought it would probably go very quickly, and almost went to see it on Sunday (Still too late!), but didn't as the job situ is still unclear, so it's all good.

let us know how she goes, and pics would be good too :-)

EDIT: May I ask what line of work you are in?
If I move, it will likely be to Newbury!

Cheers

Dan
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

Hi Dan
I am a recruiter for Amazon.co.uk. Let me know if you move to Newbury. I am trying to get a good garage on my radar for BX's so if you move we should share any good findings. By the way I Live in Compton a great village about 10 miles from newbury up the A34, moved there a few months ago, it is a really great village and reasonably priced, so if you are looking to relocate may be worth a look if you dont mind villages as it is a bit remote.

The BX is running like a real trooper and I am hoping to get close to 50mpg from my first full tank.

Adam
The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.

1990 BX 1.7TD Estate
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Well done Adam, welcome to the club! We await pictures with interest!

As for a C5 Daniel drive one before you buy one, the 90bhp is slow but to be honest Im not a big fan of them, i think there fat and ugly! (sorry C5 owners) A late model Xantia is a good bet and there so cheap now its silly!
paulmathews

Post by paulmathews »

Beware of low mileage, make sure the vehicle has not been stored.
Service history will show if car has been in regular use all the time, as that is the key to a really good car.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

tim leech wrote: As for a C5 Dandrive one before you buy one, the 90bhp is slow

Slow? And the bloody rest, its like trying to tow a trialer with a 1.5 TUD bx (the engine found in an AX with OTTOMH 68bhp) it's the crappest, most lethargic diesel engine ever made by citroen. Having had a 90 hdi on a track it has difficulty getting past 60 which is very depressing!

That said, the 110 hdi is somthing else! Its like going from a 19na diesel BX to the 1.7td, there is power, torque and if you need to get out of the way in a hurry the 110 will bean from 60 to 80 in less than a couple of seconds! Oh and not to forget the 110 get WAY better economy than the 90, think the addition of torque probably helped!

Though honestly, do try a 1.6 16v HDi, my god they go! One day i'll get one of them engines in a BX :D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Vanny wrote:
tim leech wrote: As for a C5 Dandrive one before you buy one, the 90bhp is slow

Slow? And the bloody rest, its like trying to tow a trialer with a 1.5 TUD bx (the engine found in an AX with OTTOMH 68bhp) it's the crappest, most lethargic diesel engine ever made by citroen.
Now try a 1.4TUD (actually 1360cc) performance is best described as glacial.
this might be a signature