Help Help - Emergency Gasket Knowledge Needed. Help Help - E

BX Tech talk
BackinaBX
BXpert

Help Help - Emergency Gasket Knowledge Needed. Help Help - E

Post by BackinaBX »

OK... So what with yet another red-light of doom overheating situation this afternoon, I came home armed with all the bits to flush and shine the cooling system.

However... everything came to an abrupt stop when it came to fitting the new gasket on the thermostat housing. The old one was cracked and came apart in several bits... and the the one I was told was 'the right one', isn't. It's just the wrong shape (and no, it isn't back to front). So, now I have a cooling system in bits, the wrong gasket, and somewhere to be tomorrow afternoon.

My question is this - am I risking my luck and my engine if I make a temporary cardboard gasket and seal it in with high-temp silicon until I can get to a shop that will sell me the right gasket - and then spend hours cleaning off the temporary fix!
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I've used cardboard gaskets many times without problem. I usually coat both sides with a film of grease or silicone, it'll make removing them next time round much easier.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

That's good to know. I made a template this evening, but the light has gone so it will have to wait until the morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

Another quick couple of questions...

The red anti-freeze. I've heard tell that this stuff isn't very good... any thoughts?

Anyone know the torque settings for the thermostat housing bolts?
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Use a cardbord gasket and silicone seal (as glue) both sides the cardboard. Works a treat.
Cant find any torque settings for these bolts in my 5 different Haynes BX manuals :roll:
But any 7mm steel-bolt-in-alloy torque should do. That would be some 15-20Nm
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Thanks for all your help chaps... this is all good news.

Now, one last thing. Other than constantly hacking at it with a knife, does anyone have a good way of getting old gasket off the housing? This stuff is rock hard! I've tried soaking it in petrol... nothing will shift it.

Just keep hacking I guess.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

You have a glass shelf or window glass in your workshop ?
These have a perfect smooth and flat surface.
You may as well use a laminated surface piece asa these also have very smooth surfaces.
Lay flat on this a piece of emery paper grade 120.
Now rub the lid or housing back & forth over the emery paper. You get a perfectly clean and smoot gasket face.

Its different if its the gasket face on the housing still left on the engine ...
I find it the easiest method using a file. Crossfiling will ensure you dont get it out of true.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Widgit »

You mention red antifreeze. This is usually methanol based and does not retain its effectiveness for long compared to the "good stuff" which is glycol based. If my memory serves me correct the methanol based antifreeze was more volatile and tended to evaporate. The modern products are mostly based on ethylene glycol but do come in a variety of colours so read the container info: or ask the question of your supplier.

Tim.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

If you are near a motor factors, you can buy thick gasket paper which is the same stuff as pre-cut ones, but sold as an A4 sized sheet. Very handy stuff to keep in stock.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi,

I have sucessfully used just silicon sealant on this joint in the past.

But you have to remove all the old gasket, and clean the surfaces as previousy mentioned.

Good luck.