rear lights wattage

BX Tech talk
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

rear lights wattage

Post by RobC »

slightly different to my earlier query so started new topic sorry!

recently a rear light went, but the local motor factors only had 10 watt instead of the previouslt fitted 5 watt bulbs. so i replaced both sides with 10 watt ones, put ALL the lights on (including full beam and fogs) + the heater fan on full blast, and nothing blew.

will all be ok d'ya think or will a fuse blow shortly d'ya reckon? :?
1991 Citroen BX 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The use of larger bulbs could cause problems particularily if the lights are used for a length of time. The main one is likely to be excessive heating in the bulb unit itself which could cause it to melt. This is more likely when the reflectors have dulled than when they were new and would reflect rather than absorb heat and light. The wiring itself is probably ok for the additional current which would be the same as if a trailer was attached (trailer lighting is taken off the feed in the near side light unit)

Things do melt like this - Range Rover Classic interior light lens would melt if the doors were left open for 1/2 hour or so! - and thinking of the wiring I had a factory fitted in-line fuse holder melt on a Marina when I towed a trailer with it at night! (fun to find in a small layby on a dual carriageway!)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

10Watts rear lamp bulbs does no short term harm.

The bulbs will run hotter though and then turn black much faster than you think. Soon they will provide less light than a 5Watt bulb :idea:

The best you can get is the new generation LED lamp "bulbs" - which will outlast the car.
Price has come down to the bearable level.

Only snag is they are build to consume the same power as their ole glow mates - to maintain any bulb failure circuit functionality.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

I thought i saw some thing and have just checked on my bx bulb board the actual wattage is printed ie p21 p5 next to wher the bulbs go. i noticed this a few months ago when trying to sort out a the usual bad earth.
earth is now sorted by the way.
:wink:
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

gaz

Your avatar is a smashing piece of constructivism. What's it from?

Oscar
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

I will tell you where its from if you tell me what "constructivism" is :wink:
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivism_%28art%29

This wikipedia entry is much better than anything I could tell you.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

Well Oscar if you were around in the mid 80's you might have herd of a pop group called "Frankie Goes To Hollywood". They were / are my most favorite group. Laugh and sniger all you want :wink: but at the time of say two tribes they were selling upwards of 70,000 records a week to be at No 1 for nine weeks on the run. My avatar is comonly know as "the frankie man" this logo apeared on almost everything "frankie" related. I dont think it has anything to do with the "early Soviet youth movement". however the cartoon video for Wariors of the wasteland was like a russian propaganda film. also thinking about it the Two Tribes video did have lookalikes of regan and the russian leader of the time in a wrestleing ring.