Turbo Diesel Probs

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Turbo Diesel Probs

Post by Ian_Fearn »

My TZD is giving me grief when starting.

Starting when warm is no problem at all BUT before you jump to the glow plugs or relay just wait!

When starting after a couple of hours of being turned off the engine will immediately start and then after a second rev briefly up a couple hundred revs and then die.

It will not restart easily.

If i then pump the gadget on top of my fuel filter (rotodiesel) the car will start. If i pump this thing before i try and start the car it will also start no probs.

The problem only occured after i changed the fuel filter. Now i believe i've bled this thing through very thoroughly but can anybody confirm the correct procedure so i definately know i'm doing the right thing. I've bled it about 20 times including yesterday with a brake bleeding one way valve but the problem persists.

Any help gratefully recieved as its embarresing when my colleague jump straight in their new BMW's and i'm under the bonnet priming the diesel pump.
Over and out from me
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Had this problem and the priming pump on the diesel filter was knackered and had to be replaced If this is your problem i have one here in my spares that you can have for nowt. But your problem is definetly air getting in the system check the seal on the diesel filter and make sure everything is tight then with the ignition on open the bleed nipple and prime the system with the primer till you have diesel with no bubbles then tighten the bleed nipple and keep pushiong the primer till it goes hard now start the car job done if the primer wont go solid after priming for a bit then there is air getting in somewhere.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I agree with Sleepy - its air in the system. Roto-Diesel pumps rely on fuel to operate the governor. A diesel is set to run flat out unless restrained by its governor - so air allows it to run away - to a small extent in your case.

Once its running you have done all the bleeding that's going to be useful - if no air is getting in it will keep itself clear. The only bleeding necessary on these engines is enough to get it going.

Fuel filter/primer would seem to be the likely culprit. - but it could be the steel pipes, rubber connectors to the fuel heater . . .

I suggest substituting the last feed pipe to the pump with clear plastic - and at least you'll know when you have found the source.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If you've got one of the primer pumps with the push down plunger type affair, on the metal canister it sounds like that...the seal goes hard and perished when it isn't used for ages. A mate of mine had to buy one as his was doing the same, but you can only buy the whole housing top. I think he said it wasn't silly money.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I had a similar problem on my turbo diesel and couldn't get the primer bulb on the filter head to go hard no matter how I bled it. Figured out that the diaphragm had perished, so bought a normal primer bulb (from a marine supply shop) and spliced it into the supply line to the filter and used it to prime the system - no more issues after that. There are some of the filter heads on ebay right now - at around 25Stg, so not cheap!
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I had a similar-ish problem on my 1.7 n/a and it turned out to be very small hole in the filter housing.
Captain Vanny discovered it after my `handywork` changing the filter itself. I`m sure you`re not as cak handed as me but might be worth a look?
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

as i said if it is the primer i have a complete unit here you can have for nowt and as billy said a small hole in the canister now i had this when i first got my TGD all those years ago and it was caused by the bottom edge of the canister rubbing on the inner wing as the bracket was bent slightly so make sure the cannister is clear of the body otherwise the alloy cannister rubs itself away on the inner wing.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The primer does go hard if you pump it BUT after less than an hour or so its soft again. When its running theres no problems at all.
Over and out from me
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

That is definetly an air problem and from what you describe it does sound like either the primer or filter unit itself as everything was ok till you did the filter change My money (not literally im skint) is on the primer being duff.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I dont have the bulb style primer, mine is as pictured below.

I'm assuming people think i have the other style?
Over and out from me
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Thats the one if you need a replacement i have one here you can have for free if you want.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Do you know if its a goodun Aaron?
Over and out from me
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

wel it was when it was removed from my TGD as it was no longer required as the new engine out of billys estate had the plastic housing one above the thermostat so basically march this year it was fine with no problems. :D
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

PM me your address Aaron and i'll get some dosh sent off to you.

Thanks.

ps, does anybody know if these can be bought new still?
Over and out from me
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I dont know if you can buy them new still but i wouldnt think they will be cheap.

Pm sent