Central Locking, now with plip!!

BX Tech talk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Central Locking, now with plip!!

Post by docchevron »

So my E-bay prize of plip and reciever arrives this morning and I duly install it in the car and but some fresh batts for the plip.

And it works! Well, sort of!

All the passenger doors and boot lock and unlock but the drivers door doesn't!
If the car is locked and you use the plip it will unlock and remain unlocked (except the drivers door), if the cars unlocked and you 'plip' it, it locks (again, aprt from the drivers door) and then unlocks again after 5 seconds or so.
The central locking works fine on the key so: do you think it's likley to be a servo issue (I may have some spares in stock) or a wiring issue?

I know there are two plugs that go to the servo but dont know which one is the trigger and which one powers the thing! Obviousley the trigger wires are working so if the servos ok then can anyone advise on where these pesky power wires go (I'm really not an electrician)?

Thanks in advance. You know how it is, I've got a new toy and I want to play with it!!!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Firstly - the correct BX installation gives a live key on the drivers door but not on the passengers door - as the connections for that door are used for the plip. Don't ask me why but I'm sure there's a good reason for it as the ZX is exactly the same.

When you lock the driver's door with the key does it feel as though you are locking it manually - or after a short turn of the key does the motor take over as it were? I think it should take over - (my BX usually does but has no plip)

If it does not take over then I think the problem is either the door switch or the motor. If you have the 'doors open' light system this is triggered by the door switch and so its satisfactory operation may be a signal that the door switch is ok - in which case the problem probably lies in the motor.

I had a motor go on my passenger door - and it would unlock but not lock. This was due to the failure of one of the switches in the motor. I found that the generic 5 wire motor (has switches for front doors) from Maplins dropped straight in (less than £10) and is still working well after 3 years or so.

Remember that BX wiring isn't its finest point - and its worth checking the door wiring ( cracks and breaks at the flexi junction in the door jamb) as well as all the connections in the door which have now experienced years of damp and rain and are probably heavily corroded. In my experience it often takes really serious cleaning to get them right - not just a quick waggle with a pair of pliers - and its well worth metering everything very carefully before jumping to conclusions.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Thanks dude, I'll have a closer look when it stops raining!
My car has the dooropen warning lights and they all work! I doubt it's the wiring in the door (it was all bu&&ered when I bought it, hence I replaced the lot, 3 years ago).
It doesn't really feel assisted when turning the key so I'll check the motor out first, my TD's started doing the same now, perhaps theres something in the air round here!?!

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think its called DAMP!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

:D :D I fear with the amount of cars that get torched round here damp will never be a problem, the acrid stench of burning rubber and plastic is though!!

Cheers
Chris G

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My 16v does exactly the same thing! The drivers door lock works only with the key.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

If you replace the passenger door lock moter with a drivers one you can lock the whole car from the passenger side too, it's a straight swap and the wires are in the door awaiting to be used 8)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Mr B -Isn't the controller terminal for the left hand door used for the plip on those cars fitted with it?

I could well be wrong - as I've never had to take one to bits yet.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

jeremy wrote:Mr B -Isn't the controller terminal for the left hand door used for the plip on those cars fitted with it?

I could well be wrong - as I've never had to take one to bits yet.
I can only go by my valver but, the wiring for the trigger defo isn't in my passenger door.

Oddly one of the boys at Bristol 2CV's has a TZD that has remote central locking (genuine) and the CL works on both front doors...

I think the motors dead in the valver so I'll be off to Maplins and get two, since the TD's doing the same thing.. May aswell get them both working as Andre intended (from his grave, obviousley!)

Cheers
Chris G

Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Sorry but I am more confused than usual this morning but I was able to lock/unlock mine (all locks - boot) from both front doors using a key. As far as I know it hasnt been got at.
Cheers.
Geoff
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have you got a plip on your TZD? My DTR Turbo (sept 1989) does not have a plip and both front doors activate the locking. My 16 valve which is the same age has a plip and a dead passenger door as has our 94 ZX 1.9D Avantage.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

My 91 TZD has a plip and a dead passenger door - only central locks from drivers so I agree with Jeremy - those cars with plips used the passenger door control for the plip, those without didn't and had central locking on both doors. My 16V was the same as the TZD.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

This is as I understand it. The CL controller has two inputs only. On cars without plips the front doors are both 'live', on cars with plips the passenger trigger wires were not fitted as these were used for the reciever, which is as said above so yep, I reckon we are right!!!

Alas, I still cant play with my new toy yet though!!

Hopefully I'll find some time over the next few days to sort it!

Cheers
Chris G