I have a Headache.

Anything about BXs
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I have a Headache.

Post by DavidRutherford »

Why? From driving for just over 4 hours today with a slightly blowy exhaust howling at me, all the way back from Vanny's. It's the turbo outlet to exhaust downpipe ring that's gone on a 19TD engine.... I will fix it.... honest!

Ah yes, the "BX Weekender" chaos. Nice to put some faces to names, and have a play with a BX and see what I've let myself in for by owning a BX.

Vannys Non-16v-16v now has a slightly smaller engine, a top mount intercooler, some new rear-arm bearings (that's actually not a bad job) and no clutch. No clutch? well I drove the car round the block before I left, and the clutch bite point was somewhere in the carpet. I tried lifting the pedal to see if there was more movement available... there is, but something became detatched, and the pedal is on the floor... I would have fixed it, but the bonnet pull didn't work, and I had to go!

We also made some small discoveries... like Mr vanny's MAHOOOOSIVE intercooler won't actually fit between the front chassis rails, never mind actually go in the car. Stewart and I have come to the conclusion that it will have to actually replace the bonnet. (and is big enough to do so!). We also discovered that something happens to a driver once they get behind the wheel of a transit that makes them drive like a complete nob.

I now know that BX's have some fairly nice easy jobs, like disconnecting the bottom ball-joints, and getting the driveshaft out. Very nice with no spring holding everything in the wrong place. Also front ARB drop links.... easy peasy. Even the rear arm bearings seemed like a straightforward job to me. (try doing them on a pug 405. no thanks)

I also know there are some jobs to be avoided. Like anything to do with getting your hand between the bulkhead and the engine. The water pump inlet bracket is utterly inacessable isn't it! Even getting at the exhaust to turbo bolts needs contortionism.

Anyway. The Red devil from the wirral is almost roadworthy again. Does need some more work, like a sheared off rear ARB bolt, and I get the feeling that the exhaust has collapsed internally, thus restricting the engine, but it's almost there.

And I've now decided that I NEEED a rattle gun!

David.
this might be a signature
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Hi Dave, glad you got the red peril running again, sounds like the clutch cable has dropped off!, that makes three of us who need to replace the fibre ring on out manifolds :?
Great to put a face to the name, been racking what passes for my brain re the furryous thing?????
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Mahoosive thanks to Dave and Stewart!

I'll do a bit more of a write up on the saga once i get through the next two weeks, no free time and bloody knackered! But my god does Dave work hard!

Clutch was an easy fix! Cable had come of and wasn't at all at the right bite, nor particularlay adjustable! a bit of major adjust ment engine end (after bleeding and getting the car end attached) and i can actually adjust the bugger now, its pretty cool!

did a few other minors and seem to have stopped the exhaust leak from the sealing ring, would appear it was just the lack of rear mount causing the problem!

Its still running a bit rough on start up and smokes for the first few minutes, but im mostly putting that down to the 'diesel' in the tank (we drained of the fuel filter before trying to ge tthe car running and it was mostly just water and white stuff! VERY VERY not good!

On the plus side, i dont seem to have any leaks anymore! WAHEY its okay i know it wont last!

Best thing of the whole weekend was found in one of my Citroen Tool Boxes (7410-T to be precise) in there is a wonderful bit of metal making the rear arm job a total piece of piss! Oh my god its wonderful! i would pay £40 just for this one piece of metal!

thanks for the help guys, especially dave who i cant thank enough after driving a million miles and spending two LATE nights under the tank!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Ah Vanny, I used to dream of owning a 7410-T, will just have to make do with the 8447-H (blooody big hammer) hope you can get your MOT now, did you get around to boosting the new engine yet? i have just collected my latest spare motor, its the 1.9TD from a 306 Dturbo and has some interesting manifolding, the motor looks clean and only has 90 k miles on it, will pull the head off when I get some spare time :lol:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft