Retro fit air con

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Retro fit air con

Post by BX Bandit »

I have my eyes on a complete kit to retro fit aircon to my TGD Turbo. Has anyone done this/knows what is involved...??? :lol:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

There's a fair stack of information available on the forum. Do a search for aircon and you'll find out just about everything you need to know.
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Or give Vanny lots of money and I'm sure he'll do it for you!!!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:There's a fair stack of information available on the forum. Do a search for aircon and you'll find out just about everything you need to know.
I decided to let mine remain dormant in the end because of conflicting advice on (1) the need for changing an expensive receiver/dryer. (2) What LP switch to source as this needs a different value and if you bridge it then it doesnt protect the pump anymore (3) where to buy economical R134a to R12 conversion connectors which you need before you can take to the re-chargers or pay them at least another £75.
So the conclusion I came to was that even with an installed & previously working system, it was going to cost an arm & a leg to get it operational again. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

thus far (and i might add that due to engine problems i'm only half way through installation) adding Aircon is not in the least bit difficult! And converting from R12 to R134 is pretty inexpensive. Retro fitting aircon automatically require a new drier unit (think of it as i big tube of silica crystals) which cost about £35 delivered. Then you'll need R134 seals which from citroen the whole set costs about £14 which is a total rip off for a bag of 10p seals, but they are comapatible with R134!

Electrics are an absolute piss of pi$$, theres only one control wire and 80% of the wiring loom actually switches the fan control! I started with a 309/405 wiring loom setup which gives output to control I/O thus making half of the Citroen loom pointless!

My aircon man reckons he can supply the R134 adapters for about £30, and if the system already runs on R12n then you can get R12 replacement gass which doesnt affect running!

WTF is the difference betwenn R12 and R134, well basically R12 is based on CFC's which lead to acceleratrion of the green house effect. R134 (legal requirement now) is CFC free and has lubricants to stop the destruction of seals. Above all else R12 is an inerte gas which expelles oxygen which bilology 101 tells me is pretty much a prerequisite of being alive!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Re: Retro fit air con

Post by cavmad »

BX Bandit wrote:I have my eyes on a complete kit to retro fit aircon to my TGD Turbo. Has anyone done this/knows what is involved...??? :lol:
If you ever take your eye off the retro kit you`re watching let me know. I have a complete air con system here from a BX :wink:
Vauxhall apologist.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Thank you cavmad. Is yours already changed to R134 or will it need modifying as per Vannys description?

I assume its a dash out job - which may just have to conincide with me replacing my grey dash with a lovely black one.... :lol:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

If you want th truth mate I haven`t got the foggiest what kind of coolant is in it :oops:
However I`m pretty sure the dashboard that it`s in is black and in good order AND...I have the slider (controller) for it which goes onto the dashboard.
Vauxhall apologist.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

cavmad wrote:If you want th truth mate I haven`t got the foggiest what kind of coolant is in it :oops:
All BX's were originally R12 so if it has had the conversion to R134a it should have the modified pipe connectors also. Look at the connectors on the DIY refilling bottles in Halfrauds to compare. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

My secondhand experience of aircon (helping to remove it from the donor aircon car I was given custody of) suggests that it's mainly a time and money thing. You'll need a minimum of £2/300 to do the job properly, and plenty of time for stripping the donor car and refitting. Certain parts aren't available anymore, but there are substitutes available if you look hard and ask the right questions. Not a weekend job - unless it's of the very, very long variety.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DLM wrote:it's mainly a time and money thing. You'll need a minimum of £2/300 to do the job properly
I'd say thats a bargain if retrofitting can be done for that.
Just to renovate the factory fitted R12 system and get it working R134a seems to demand over £200. :(
(R134a conversion + 'O' Rings + Receiver/Dryer + Evacuate&Recharge.)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Though I'll frankly admit I've not done the sums in anger, I'm factoring a bit of parts-bagging luck into the equation, and I did say "minimum". Off the shelf parts will be expensive: I understand the trick is to look for equivalents.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DLM wrote: Off the shelf parts will be expensive: I understand the trick is to look for equivalents.
All tips and pointers here will be welcome as I would like to resurrect the system at a future point. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Just had a thought that although aircon is desirable in the summer, it is infinitely more useful at this time and in winter for clearing the screens fast. Maybe I should give it a higher priority. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

The double-fan arrangement makes a huge difference to the intensity and volume of air that gets shifted by the ventilation system. Even in a car with aircon fitted but which is non-functioning it's very noticeable.

If I remember, there has been discussion in the past about a couple of alternatives for BX aircon components on the French car forum - and probably here. I believe both forums have search facilities.