1.7 TZD cold start problem

BX Tech talk
ianselva
Confirmed BX'er

1.7 TZD cold start problem

Post by ianselva »

Hi, My TZD won't start on all four cylinders first thing in the morning. It starts but shakes around on 2 or 3 for a minute or 2 pushing out grey smoke all the while. If I use the heaters 3 times it will start on all 4 OK. Once it is running it is 100% OK. No smoke , no missing , no water loss, uses no oil. I have checked all the heaters and they all look the same , all heat up in the same time . This has only started since I changed tge head. Any Ideas?
BX owner since 1986
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Sounds like you have tired glowplugs to me mate! There real cheap and easy to change.
M

Post by M »

By checking the heaters do you mean you have removed the glow plugs and watched them heat up with 12V applied? Your symptoms sound almost classic of one pot not firing up when cold - which the first port of call would be the heater plug and its connecting cable.

Someone really needs to do a nice post that we can use as a "sticky" for diesel starting problems - any takers? (Dave Burns where are you?)
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Sounds like glowplugs to me, you can test them after removal by holding them with a jumplead and connecting (touching) the terminal post onto a battery,(the jumplead being connected to the other terminal) if they arent glowing/smoking in three seconds then theyre dead.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ianselva
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ianselva »

I said I have checked all the glowplugs ( heaters) - They all get red hot within the same time off a 12V battery, (the link cable is all OK as well.)and they are only a few months old . This was the first thing I tried.
BX owner since 1986
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Sorry for not reading your first post carefully :oops: the cold start misfire might be air in the fuel or dirty injectors, if you have a fuel priming bulb (depends on year) try priming the fuel system before the cold start, a shot of injector cleaner may help too. I have had similar symptoms which have cured themselves.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You say this only started when the head was changed?
I had an identical issue with a 19 n/a some time ago that was always fine, then I had to change the head (gasket went), fitted a skimmed head and it started like a bag of s*!t when cold, but was fine when hot.

That turned out to be the valves not seating fully and allowing a touch of blow by which cured itslef once it had been running for a few seconds....

I take it the cold start on the pump is working properly and the timing is ok?

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ianselva
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ianselva »

Yes , once it is going it runs as well as ever , no trace of misfire etc . This does sound a possibility, I'll try and get a compression test done this week.
BX owner since 1986
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

also check the glowplug relay its on the passengerside inner wing I had this exact same trouble with my TGD it turned out to be a tired relay.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

If its the older type of blue box relay there are a set of contacts in there which can benefit from a clean.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
ianselva
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ianselva »

I'll go and have a look at the relay , but wouldn't that effect all glow plugs not just a couple ?
BX owner since 1986
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

When I had bad contacts in the relay the car would start, just not too well, there was current getting to the plugs, just not enough, the deceptive thing was that the dash lights etc were all behaving correctly, relays clicking etc.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

If you need a relay i have a blue one you can have just let me know your adress by PM and i will send it to you.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

PM sent Marty.
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

"Someone really needs to do a nice post that we can use as a "sticky" for diesel starting problems - any takers?"

What, like this one?

Diesel starting problems

:lol:

I'm happy to take comments and update, and copy it across here as required.
I NEED a BX TD.