Open and Shut case

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Open and Shut case

Post by Gareth Wales »

When I use the plip to lock up itsometimes locks and then unlocks.
Plip batteries are fine.
Anyone any ideas please
Gareth
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have had similar trouble when one of the locks does not manage to fully work so it overrides everything and unlocks again, in my case I was able to watch the lock buttons and lo.. one of them was not going down fully, AFAIR a little appropriate lubrication and voila!
Hope this helps
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

A reply and I'm sure a solution in under a minute
Surely a record
many thanks Stewart :D
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Gareth wheer did you apply said lubricant?
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Tim:
I just let a very small amount of WD40 go down the sides of the locking buttons - only one of which was in fact sticking. But they all seemed to enjoy it.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

My front passenger one sticks like a bugger and does the same thing, strangely though after its been up and down twice its fine for the rest of the day then by the next morning it needs two cycles to sort it out! I figure what ever greese is in it sticks in the cold night times? Either way will attack it when i come to finish some wiring in that door!

Just wondering if fitting a rightie door lock to a leftie door might have anything do with it, i thought the lock mechanisms where not sided, anyone know?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I don't think the motors are handed. Maplins generic 5 wire one dropped straight in my TD passenger door with no modification to either linkage or wire.

There do seem to be 2 types of motors - 2 wire for back doors (without external locks) and 5 wires for those with internal locks. The 5 wires would seem to have an internal switchgear.

As installed as standard BX with plips the passenegr door only unlocks itself on the key, not the rest of the doors. What I don't know is if it is fitted with a 5 wire motor or just a 2 wire one. If it is to work like the drivers door and unlock the rest on the key it will need a 5 wire motor.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Jeremy, for those cars that are fitted with a plip (and usually a sunroof) i think it might have been simply a matter of cost when fitted the non central locking motor to the passenger door. Over the summer i took the door card off the passenger door on the 16v to find the spare connector that goes into the lock mechanism (theres a 3pin to actuate the lock and a two pin to activate the central locking), all i did was fit a drivers side lock to the passenger door and i now have central locking from all external locks, which is insanely useful if you don't have a working plip/alarm (mines now working again though!).

Hence my wondering if perhaps they where sided! The motor that is fitted as the rear motor is the same as that in the normal passenger door setup and is missing a microswitch from the top surface.
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
sometimes it can be an oversensetive locking motor, by the sounds must be front one. sometimes the locking vibration makes them unlock again. ive had this prob and solved it with new locking motor/servo thingy.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Vanny wrote:Jeremy, for those cars that are fitted with a plip (and usually a sunroof) i think it might have been simply a matter of cost when fitted the non central locking motor to the passenger door. Over the summer i took the door card off the passenger door on the 16v to find the spare connector that goes into the lock mechanism (theres a 3pin to actuate the lock and a two pin to activate the central locking), all i did was fit a drivers side lock to the passenger door and i now have central locking from all external locks, which is insanely useful if you don't have a working plip/alarm (mines now working again though!).

Hence my wondering if perhaps they where sided! The motor that is fitted as the rear motor is the same as that in the normal passenger door setup and is missing a microswitch from the top surface.
Interesting, this suggests that either the story of the passenger door input being used to the central locking controller for the plip is wrong or possibly that it's true and there is a danger of damage to the receiver from the back emf of the door motor ? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto