Indicator stalk problem.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Indicator stalk problem.

Post by cavmad »

Just replaced the indicator stalk on my BX estate as the old one was playing up. Indicators would only work when they wanted and jiggling the stalk about got them to go, though it`s bloody annoying. Replaced the stalk with a spare and guess what? It`s started to do it again! Any ideas please?
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

all the indicators run through the hazards switch, i reckon thats what will be at fault! Only thing is it s bloody fragile bugger so go slowly and carefully!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hi I also had same problem replaced the stalk which didnt fix it in the end all my indicators failed so after a frantic afternoon looking at bulbs and fuses I ended up replacing the hazard switch which cured the problem :)
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cheers fellas, after the day I`ve had that`s good news.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

The easy option is to replace the switch dont try and take it to bits I did and ended up with bits of brass and springs everywhere and the plastic clips snapped as well :oops:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Many electrical mysteries have been solved by adding an extra earth cable between the engine and body, I generally fit one when I get a new BX
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks Stewart, anywhere in particular on the engine or just somewhere with a suitable hole?
Vauxhall apologist.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Its the braided strap from battery clamp bracket bolt to the gearbox earthing bolt that is meant to do this.
Often you'll find some green remnants of the strap under both boltheads.
Get a ready made (black) battery cable some 1ft long, with cable eyes 8mm hole both ends.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I went though just about all of the above with an indicators/hazards problem, and eventually called in a 'tron (Tom). In the end it proved to be due to the multistrand ribbon cable running front-rear, which had become chafed due to some of my more enthusiastic boot loading-up and was spontaneously earthing.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks Anders. I have been out and replaced the hazard switch just now (thank God for the mountain of spares I got with the car!). As I was fitting it I tested it and it worked great. Put it into the dashboard and I bet I don`t have to tell you what happened?
You`ve guessed it, naff all. Took it out, put it back in (more carefully this time!) and it`s working now.
The acid test will come tonight when I take `er indoors to work........
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

B*ll*cks, guess what? Packed up again and frequent messing about with the hazard switch hasn`t done much. Had a quick look at the earthing strap which LOOKS o.k but I`ll get the one off my scrap Maestro and have two on the BX. I know the o/s/r light unit was playing up as Vanny gave it a quick bang to get it to work when we went to look at the car and it`s thought that the bulb holders and/or earth maybe dodgy.
I`m trying to keep my patience at the moment but can`t do without indicators!
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

with the 'fonz' method having been used on the O/S ligth it will just be corrosion on the bulb! Might be worth pulling them all out and having a check?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

DLM wrote:I went though just about all of the above with an indicators/hazards problem, and eventually called in a 'tron (Tom). In the end it proved to be due to the multistrand ribbon cable running front-rear, which had become chafed due to some of my more enthusiastic boot loading-up and was spontaneously earthing.
Is that a replacement job or can I fabricate some sort of bodge would you know? Cheers.
Vauxhall apologist.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Lift the carpets and follow multiribbon cable on LHS of the floor. Quite often it is chafed right under the seat squab.
Or the multiplug is a green-corroded mess behind LHS rearlamp cluster :roll:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks, I will be trying that when I get 5 minutes.
Vauxhall apologist.