Help Wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Mallion
Confirmed BX'er

Help Wanted

Post by Mallion »

Hi all,i am still looking for the ultimate Gti .i have been asked to make an offer on a Freg 8v 44000miles full black leather int automatic 3months tax no mot,needs 4 new tyres,ride seems hard but goes well.no rust but has stood outside for awhile .any guide or help greatly appreciated Cheers Barry Mallion
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I would consider going for a later one as the uncoated pipework on the pre-90 cars can cause problems at this age. I would consider an auto with leather desirable though, but leather is a mixed blessing - personally I'd count air con as a must with leather. Trouble is air con adds weight and saps power (as does an auto box - I know: my Gti has both!) and if you are after an 'ultimate' Gti I'd consider a Hurricane (a bit of exclusivity there) like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Tempting, very very tempting.

Cheers
Chris g
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
djoptix
BXpert

Re: Help Wanted

Post by djoptix »

Mallion wrote:Hi all,i am still looking for the ultimate Gti.
The ultimate GTi has 16 valves 8)

(incidentally - that listing - 8v more torque than 16v? Shurely shome mishtake? Citroen say no, 1986:

The BX 19 GTI features a new 4-cylinder 1,905 cm3 injection engine (125 bhp at 5,500 rpm, torque of 17.8 mkg at 4,500 rpm)

And 1987:

Citroën brings out the 16-Valve BX 19 GTI, equipped with the first French-designed multivalve engine (4 cylinders, 1,905 cm3, 160 bhp at 6,500 rpm, torque of 18.4 mkg at 5,000 rpm)

Fair enough, it comes in higher, but there is more from the 16v engine.

Incidentally I think 1 mkg (metre/kilogram) = 7.2 lb/ft so 17.8 mkg gives the 8v 128.16 lb/ft @ 4,500 and the 16v 132.48 lb/ft @ 5,000.
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Er, sorry for my 16v geekery. Back on topic: it does sound like a very nice car Barry :) Philip's right, there's nothing like Triton Green but... for my money you should snap that one up, use the fact that it's been stood and no MOT to drive the price down, and wait for the perfect Hurricane ;)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Depends how much he wants for it, its its similar money to that hirricane I would buy thats as its got 11 months motoring before you need a MOT!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d buy a nice, unspoilt white GTi manual myself. Something with a long MOT that`s just about to have a bit of work done to it :wink:
Vauxhall apologist.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Yes I picked up on that mistake with the torque figures too. He probably just means it feels more torquey, as it comes in earlier. Reveiws at the time always said the 16V was not usably quicker, and that the steering responses and feedback of the 8V were much more pleasantly keyed in to the tyre and suspension of the 8V, so unless your out for a frenzied sprint, the 8 V may be more pleasent in day to day driving. This is what I have read. I havent driven either, but id imagine the 8 V Gti is just like my GT but with 20 more Bhp, and the GT is a delight to drive with all that low down torque.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

(From another posting)

Citroen literature (1990 brochure) says the BX GTi (and4x4) has (had!) 124 bhp @5500 rpm and 123lbs/ft of torque @ 2750 rpm. The corresponding figures for the 16v are: 160 bhp @ 6500 rpm and 133 lbs/ft of torque @ 5000 rpm.

Two different animals as this shows. And as has oft been said on this forum, the GTi's the better everyday car and the 16v's by far the quickest, but you have to keep the revs up.
Mallion
Confirmed BX'er

more help!!!

Post by Mallion »

It all sounds so technical !! i am only a novice with a 2cv and a2.5 td xm est.so how much should i offer?? £400-£500?? or should i wait for the Hurricane(brief details please) many thanks guys Barry
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I wouldn't offer that much, given it's been stood and there's no ticket. It'll need spheres, tyres and probably some other things - so you're looking at the sharp end of £330 plus to get it on the road. Although it's low mileage, given it's age, I would say the condition is paramount - if it's very tidy then consider offering up to £100. Personally I'd offer £60 and work from there.

If you don't want the hassle, and your budget's high enough, I'd suggest considering that green one I mentioned before. It seems a nice late GTi Hurricane with acceptable mileage, ticket and tax etc. It's got 7 hours to go and it's £390... Can't be bad.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I agree with Phil. The one you are looking at has the massive plus of having leather, but if it needs spheres tyres, and whatever else for the MOT, then it wont be worth much. However, if you really like it, and the condition reflects its low milage in terms of bodywork and interior etc, then it may be worth seeing what you can get it for. I have to admit that Hurricane on ebay looks hard to beat.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:roll: OK no Tax on the Hurricane. But still good I guess.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

And probably won`t attract many bids either as it has a fairly high (for eBay) starting bid. Potential of a really nice buy there i.m.h.o.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

BXs are slowly increasing in value thankfully, but the 8v GTi isnt fetching that much yet, 16vs are now purely as their engines alone are worth £500 in good nick. GTi autos are lovely cars (I know!) but somepeople are put off by the autobox, you would want it owing you about £500-£600 all done, MOTED serviced and ready to roll. I sold a beauty for £400 not long ago which needed nothing really excpet a cambelt change.

Regarding the leather, yes its nice but having owned a BX with and without i personally prefer the softer cloth as its not so "seasonal", i.e. burns your arse in the summer and cold in the winter! :D So dont buy it just for that reason, they are a easy job to swop seats and the interiors do pop up from time to time.