Quick engine mount question

BX Tech talk
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Quick engine mount question

Post by cauchoiskev »

Well, I was having a bit of judder which apparently isn't clutch related, and noticed that the gap between the two rubber "pyramids with the top chopped off" and the right-side engine mount was about 1/4 inch.

However, on my other BX (the Calanque) which has no judder, there is no gap at all. So I loosened off the bolt and hammered a "suitable" steel plate behind the rubber pyamid thingy, so now there is no gap (there was a similar steel plate in the Calanque).

To be fair, this has lessened the judder, however there is far more vibration - and noise - transmitted into the interior at low RPM.

So my question is - what is the spec for the gap between those rubber pyramids and the right engine mount ??? No mention in Haynes, of course :evil: :evil: :evil: .
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I had the same problem a few years back and took a similar approach to you but still left some gap (1 - 2mm). I suppose if you used a hammer then it will be too tight. Aim for 1mm to allow some play and give it a go. However, I have also replaced the other mounts as well and I don't get judder. May be worth looking at the others to see how they are....
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Have a look at the the large mount behind the sump, if this has gone soft it can cause a lot of movement.
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Re: Quick engine mount question

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

cauchoiskev wrote: there is no gap at all. So I loosened off the bolt and hammered a "suitable" steel plate behind the rubber pyamid thingy, so now there is no gap (there was a similar steel plate in the Calanque).
however there is far more vibration - and noise - transmitted into the interior at low RPM.
??? No mention in Haynes, of course :evil: :evil: :evil: .
hi there,
you have more vibration becuase there is steel in there and not just rubber. steel carries vibrations and makes extra noise and rubber absorbs vibrations etc. i would have screwed down to close the gap not stick bits in but you may be right and i may be wrong.
as things have changed with your car after the adjustment you are defo on the right track hopefully someone will be able to supply a diagram or photo to help solve it. :wink:

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Was this the thing that the "Mad Frenchman" fixed with his shoe? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Way2go wrote:Was this the thing that the "Mad Frenchman" fixed with his shoe? :?
Thats the one! :shock:
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Yeah, I've already changed the "mad Frenchman" lower engine mount (worst job I've ever done on the BX btw).

As the bandit says, the pyramids are probably too tight now, and I also think the two top engine mounts will have to be changed. That will probably be after I've changed the fuel pipes, front disc/pads, thermostat etc. etc. etc...
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Yeah, I've already changed the "mad Frenchman" lower engine mount (worst job I've ever done on the BX btw).

As the bandit says, the pyramids are probably too tight now, and I also think the two top engine mounts will have to be changed. That will probably be after I've changed the fuel pipes, front disc/pads, thermostat etc. etc. etc...