NEED HELP BADLY!!!

BX Tech talk
ARRYNEV

NEED HELP BADLY!!!

Post by ARRYNEV »

Hi all ,
I'm having terrible trouble changing my brake disk's, I cannot remove the old ones. Is there a simple way or do I just "Hammer away" I'm afraid of doing damage if I do :(
arrynev
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

A big hammer on the back of the disc should shift them. Don't forget to remove the retaining screw! Maybe take the calliper off to keep it out of range of the hammer :wink:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Are you using a big enough hammer? I have had to smash discs brefore now, once the old ones are off make sure to clean the hub face where the new ones will sit or you will have some very strange car behaviour.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

FBH

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

As Mr Stewart says its no good using a toffee hammer, its better to use a good thump than a lot of little taps. Works wonders.
Cheers,
Geoff,
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Front ones? Take out the retaining screw, replace old pads. Support front of car on stand.
Start car and put in second or third gear. with around 50KPH showing, Stamp on brakes. The bang is the disk coming loose. Now do the other side. Never fails, takes ten seconds.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I like Tom's suggestion, but in the past I have simply used a large hub puller which has never failed.

Mike
ARRYNEV

found the soluton

Post by ARRYNEV »

Thank you all, for your comments.
In the end I decided to take a hand grinder and split the disk which took about 5min then use a crowbar and a 14bl hammer, "just the job" all this took about 7min.
Again thans to all
arrynev
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

The hammer sounds almost big enough :) glad you got there in the end, BXs should come with an angle grinder in the factory toolkit.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:The hammer sounds almost big enough :)
Cav ought to tell us what hammers we need to cover most jobs as this appears an area of his expertise in the same way that Doc is an expert on coal shovels. :wink: :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ARRYNEV

Post by ARRYNEV »

To be quite honest Stewart it is a Mondeo, (my other car is a Xantia) but I'm afraid,(and grateful that this site exists) that there is very little on the Ford sites, anyway thanks to all here.
P.S. my Mondeo is a 1998 Model (65,000Mls) and the front right side (fell apart) disk "Broke down" ( luckily whilst I was in the Ville), but when I changed the Two front ones I found that the other one had Two fractures also. I do a hell of a lot of "Motorway driving here in France (live in the sticks) There must be many other cars about to have "accidents", do you not think?
arrynev
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

I have seen vented discs separate in half down the middle so that the outer half just floats, it makes a horrible noise and cannot assist in braking, that one was a f**d too.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few