BX central locking problems

BX Tech talk
BX_dizwol

BX central locking problems

Post by BX_dizwol »

Hello guys and gals,

My name is James, and im a Noob! Heres my BX 17 tzd -

Now i love this car to bits, its a smooth quiet 60mpg magic carpet. But today its let me down :(

The stereo in the car was always a little strange, it had a ghost in it that would retune the radio and adjust the volume as i was listening :? so i decided to change it and send the old one to a nice priest :wink:

As i was playing the electrics i disconnected the battery, always a safe move. Then the stereo came out and there were the speaker wires, one yellow and one grey wire.

The problem is that now its removed the central locking wont work, very strange indeed. Even more strange is that the grey wire is earth, and the yellow that im assuming is the live dosent have any power?

Any ideas guys? I cant use it at the moment as the boot only seems to lock with the central locking :(

If anyone has the wiring diagram for a BX 17 tzd and can put it online, i owuld be eternally greatfull (sp?).

Thanks in advance

J
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hmm strange, im no mechanic but sounds like you may have blown a fuse? when you reconnected the battery did it all go back on as it should, no wires dangling?

Must say your BX looks great and wel cared for, wlecome to the club!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Welcome along matey!

Great looking car.
Does seem odd. Unless someones been hacking the wiring about the stereo shouldn't have any effect on the C/locking. :?:

I'd defo start with the easy things, check the fuses first. if they all check out and you have access to a voltmeter make sure there's power getting to the central locking "black box", located next to the hand brake lever under the centre consol.
Just a thought but maybe worth removing the stereo and making sure nothing was diturbed when it was fitted, i.e. connectors etc....

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Can you tell us more about your baby, miles ownership etc, only thing missing is the www.bxclub.co.uk window sticker! (see webite for details!)
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

im betting when you re-connected the battery you didnt cover the stereo live wire, it earthed and has blown the fuse.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
BX_dizwol

Post by BX_dizwol »

hi guys,

I really appreciate your prompt responses, i feel like a complete dullard becuase it was a fuse! I thought it a bit strange that the central locking and interior lights stopped working too, but the clock was still worked but only with the door shut!

In my defence this is what im used to owning -

And hillman imps dont have any fuses!

As for the BX, its a 96K mile 3 owner car. Full citroen service history up untill 2004.

Does anyone know what intervals the cambelt has to be changed at?

Cheers for the support

J
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hi `J`, and welcome along. Your Imp rocks mate, what engine is that?
Vauxhall apologist.
BX_dizwol

Post by BX_dizwol »

Its an imp engine, not the original one though, its a 930cc unit from a talbot sunbeam, with a supercharger......and an intercooler from an audi S2..... and CBR R600 throttle bodies..... and megasquirt injection with distributorless ignition..... and lots of homemade carbon bits :wink: hehe

J
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Welcome

Is that a supercharger on the Imp?

You can download the whole Haynes BX manual (petrol) (in english) from this site - I think its the top document under BX. There are also 2 microfiche parts books there and sections of the official workshop manual dealing with steering and hydraulics.

The Haynes wiring diagrams are I'm sure copies of the official ones.

There's loads more useful information including a drivers handbook (seems to deal with petrol and diesel) - which also explains something about radio installation.

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/

The diesel engine is dealt with in a separate Haynes manual

In its standard form there is a single permanently live radio supply. This is fine if you have a radio with a click type switch. If you have a modern set with an electronic switch you may have flat battery problems as the thing will be permanlently live and certainly my one consumes a considerable standby current. Your problems may be as someone has wired the thing into the ignition circuit.

Belt - 48,000 miles - or 5 years - sooner of. Best to do it now and at least you know its been done.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I love imps there great fun, regarding cambelts if your unsure when it was done bite the bullit and get it done, I didnt and am now having a head skimmed and 4 new valves at a cost of £300 :cry: ! It will cost you alot less in the long run, there not that easy to change, but make sure you change the tensioner too, as it was that on mine that gave up and it went loose and BANG!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

A set of alloys would set the car off, they do come up on here regularly.
BX_dizwol

Post by BX_dizwol »

well the cambelt needs doing now then!

The blower is from a mercedes 230 kompressor, im starting with 9psi of boost and then upping it to 15psi and some blower porting. Then i have a turbocharger to put on aswell, for 20psi of efficient boost.

i cant find that haynes manual, i think i better get one for the cambelt change

J
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sorry - forgot to paste the link.

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm

You will need instructions for the diesel - separate book.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

A supercharged Imp! 8)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

That Imp is fantastic mate 8) . Makes me wish I had an old car again....
It must go like stink! :D Whats the BHP / Torque outputs?
I feel the need to do a 1/4 in it!!!! :D :D 8)

Changing the Cambelt on a diesel is easy mate, and for a change the Haynes is quite good with it's description!

Glad it was just a fuse and it's sorted.

Where abouts in this fine land are you mate? I'd really love to see the Imp!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...