Radio removal

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Radio removal

Post by Gareth Wales »

Does radio removal from a BX usuall involve aspecial tool (I have an Aiwa radio casette), is it a simple job and are the dimensions of the top brands, Aiwa, Sony, Goodmans etc very similar? Presumably, wiring in a new radio is a fairly straightforward job (after disconnecting the battery of course)
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

It's a very simple job - remove 4 screws that hold the front flip-down cover in place and the whole thing slides out. You may have DIN connectors in the rear - if so putting a new CD in is very easy - just plugs straight in. Only change you may want to make is the power lead - it isn't switched so if you leave your car for a few days, the stereo could drain the battery. Easy mod to tap off the ignition lead that is switched and use that for the stereo main supply.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you are unlucky like me the radio still won't come out. The reason is that the radio is held in a sleeve which in turn is held onto the fascia. The sleeve is held onto the fascia by lugs which are twisted - and the fascia in turn fits into a plastic moulding which is rather close fitting - so lugs on the sleeve may actually engage with the moulding on the car!

Another thing to watch out for is a bolt at the back. Some radio manufacturers like more support than the fascia and there is a convenient bar at the back. Some radios wiill rest on it - but its possible yours is bolted. Just look for this if it wont come out.

The clips etc that you refer to operate the clips on the side of the unit that hold it into the sleeve. The sleeve seems to 'belong to' the radio as every radio I've seen comes complete with one. Once the fascia, sleeve and radio has been removed the clips can be pushed in and the radio removed from the sleeve.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If you have the type of radio that is held in by a sleeve then normally they can be removed by inserting U shaped prongs into both sides of the radio. These prongs release the internal clips retaining the radio and the radio then just slides out. These bent wire tools are normally supplied with a new radio or I am sure that they would be available at Halfrauds or similar. (4 suitably sized nails inserted in the 4 holes may also acheive the same result but more fiddly).
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

A wire coat hangar cut into two roughly four inch strips then doubled over sometimes works. You might need to file the ends down a tad where they slide into the stereo but hey, it won`t cost anything to make!
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

U shaped prongs are for Ford and some Vauxhall radios. Aiwas and Goodmans radios have flat kep pieces that fit in either side, about 10mm wide 1mm depth and around 40mm long, however, if you remove the 'flap' facia via the foru screws and remove the facia, frams and radio all in one, you'll see the Aiwa clips pokign thorugh the sides of the frame, they can be pushed in and the tapedeck easily removed! Most frames are similar enoguh to be the same for all players so jsut slot the new stereo back in!

You'll then find as you slide it all in it will get stuck, stick your hand into the 'hole' below the steroe aperture (where i keep loose change) and you can resach under and behind the stereo and feel the offending wires. You push them over the first bracket then to the left to get them past the rear bracket!

Piece of ships by the thirtieth attempt at removing all the flesh form your knuckles!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Gareth I have an Aiwa stereo in my BX and I have the tools to remove them, PM me if you want to borrow same. they are very light and would post for pennies.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

For less than £5 you can buy these at halfrauds, and then you have them for ever unless you loose one (like me!)
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Stewart
I've only just seen your kind loan offer of Aiwa radio removal tool (due to unauthorised people :evil: using my PC and deleting BXClub Topic Reply Notifications. But yes, the tools (i'd imagine they're just the clip release things) would be most welcome.
I've PMd you
Gareth
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You only need the special tools if for some reason the fascia (with the flip down lid) won't come out. The fascia is secured by 4 screws in its front.

The tools themselves seem either to be round wire or flat plates - depending on the radio make. When you've got the thing out with the fascia you will be able to press the claws down with your fingers or a screwdriver to enable the radio to be removed from the sleeve.

I managed to get my old Philips set out with a set of instrument makers screwdrivers - which I used as I hadn't a wire coathanger to hand. The flat metal plate like tools supplied with my Shark set are some of the softest metal I have ever encountered - as indeed seem to be the locking claws on the 3 radios I've removed recently. (After depressing them I've had to prise them out for re-use - even though they look to be blued spring steel!)