Electric windows

BX Tech talk
jrdpod
BXpert

Electric windows

Post by jrdpod »

The passenger window on my 1987 BX diesel sometimes won't work at all,and has now stuck open.
I've temporarily disconnected the glass from the motor, shored it up, and locked the door out of use.
Usually, me and my classic car friend (a Morris Minor and Triumph 1300 owner) team up to tackle most of the BX repair jobs, but this one has foxed us.
Luckily though, my friend has contact with a self employed car technician who charges far less than any garage, and my BX is paying a visit next week.
Possible causes include, a break in a wire where the door meets the A post, a sticking motor, or a knackered switch.
No doubt something simple!
Ironically I'm a qualified building "sparky", but I've never had to deal with electric car windows before!
John R D Podgorski
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Broken wires are likely - and it could even be in the drivers door.

However I've had a problem with the one on my car if its fully lowered somethimes - when the motor seems to go dead - and I think there is a thermal cutout switch in the motor or something - and a good thump seems to get it going!

(Happened twice on holiday when I didn't feel like investigating properly - and just was happy to get it shut - and once when I was repairing the door lock and time was short - so the rule now is not to lower it fully!)

Its well worth lubricating the runners and the seal on the cill with silicon spray - I've been doing mine for 7 years now - needs doing a couple of times to begin with then about once a year.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'd suspect the switch, easy enough to replace. If this doesn't cure it try pressing the switch whilst moving the door open and closed (drivers side)

If it moves then you'll know it's a broken wire.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

So far all my window winder issues have ended up steming from the switch (including when i bodged some wiring and it wouldn't work, i'd melted the insides of the switch!). On a passneger side door the likely hood of broken wires is vastly less than that of a drivers door, and i'll put money on it all being down to the switch (which i suspect many people on here including myself have many hundreds off!).

What i'm told kills the switches is fluff getting into them. You cna pull them out of the door shroud with a flat screw driver, then pop the lots off (clip etiher side) then should be able to examine for dust/fluff/gremlins!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

The switch in the passenger's door is fed from the switch in the driver's door. This causes lots of confusion so when you get to the passenger's door, swap the switches between the two doors if you are not getting any feed to the switch.