Not a good time to sell anything!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Not a good time to sell anything!

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I know. But here's advance notice that my trusty GTi Auto's going to be for sale in the New Year - (or sooner if anyone comes up with the dosh!)...

So, what about the car? It's a late 1991 GTi Auto in silver with air con. It is the car featured as April's BX in the calendar. It is Taxed until the end of December, and has an MOT to mid-July 2007.

It is in fine fettle generally. Everything works as it should - including front fogs (and it has brighter bulbs in the headlights too), plipper, electric sunroof - with deflector, windows, heater controls etc. It has a Panasonic 6-speaker CD tuner fitted. There's genuine 'accessorie' anti-blind-spot/anti-dazzle wing mirror glass fitted too. It really is in extremely clean condition, it has a massive history file, but it needs a bit of work to prevent problems in the future. I know there is rust in the nearside boot floor corner (hardly unusual, I know). Likewise some corrosion on the front rear wheel arches and inner front wings. These are areas that, unless action is taken in the coming year might mean more extensive work in the future.

Then we get to the mechanicals. In nearly four years it has only ever suffered from a couple of LHM leaks and has had those dealt with by repair - or as in the case of the last one, total replacement of the steering ram and associated pipework. The engine is still fine but burns a bit of oil so (after all it's got 161k on it) it'll need the valve stem oil seals doing. It's had both rear arm bearings, timing belt, fuel line, brakes, LHM flush etc. done within the last 24k miles - most much more recently. There is a weep of LHM from the FDV end of things but it is slight - and the only thing I'd suggest is putting a tray under the car at night to save driveways! The air con works fine but only for about 10-12 months at a time as I have to use RS24 in place of R12 and it just doesn't last. I had some 'O' rings replaced last time but didn't seem to add more that a couple of months to the 'life' of it before another regas is due (unless you can wait 30 mins for it to start working really effectively). One thing though, during the summer (May - October) it did an absolutely sterling job and brought the temperature down nicely - blows pretty bloomin' cold actually - so I reckon the £65 per annum to regas is acceptable...

The interior's clean and tidy and the engine bay looks very good for the age of car... It's a fabulous drive - especially on it's 16v wheels with P6000's (plenty of life left in those) - even the spare's virtually new.

So what to do? Keep it on the road next year or sell? I reckon an offer over £400 would tempt us. Although it's not guaranteed... My wife and I love the car so it ceases to become a rational affair, you see. Hence the enquiry about a diesel auto (we like autos) as it appeals to our desire for more economy. As you probably know, a GTi auto driven with gusto - with a slightly 'worn' engine plus air con blasting out is never going to achieve good MPG. Best ever? 32mpg on a run. Worst? 18?

PM me if interested...

Phil
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I knew visiting this forum again could prove dangerous! Oh curse the new trade policy I have - suddenly acquiring more cars is easy!

Fortunately for the health of my wife (and therefore me), I have no money!

Ian
M

Post by M »

I have a similar problem with my Xantia - only one chap shown any interest so far, but wanted to come on Christmas day to test drive it ("I dont believe in Christmas") :shock:
Then again, I dont really want to sell it - but have to in order to pay off the credit card loan on the Blingo I have just bought (need 5 propper full size seats, cant afford much, Bling came along at the right time).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the GTi.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

If anyone`s considering a GTi I can highly recommend Phil as a top bloke. Completely honest and description will be spot on. I bought a GTi that used to be his (now in the capable hands of Ms Fearn) and it was in superb order and extremely well maintained. I don`t think you`ll find better for the money and I`d jump at it if I didn`t have far too many cars myself.
Good luck with the sale Philip, though it`ll sell itself when someone sees it.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Billy. Let's see what happens when the dust settles after New Year.

Have a good one!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

It has to be said, however much I dislike auto BX's, that is a VERY tidy and straight car. I think its worth more to be honest, it showed mine up at Huntingdon rally. And I second that if anyone was gonna give an honest description on here, it'd be Phil.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
wannab-x
Confirmed BX'er

Post by wannab-x »

This is my very first post!!!

Do you have any photos of the car, Phil? Not sure if it'd be the car for me, but you never know!!

Thanks,

Andrew