Water in rear footwells

Anything about BXs
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Water in rear footwells

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Yes folks its sunroof drain time again, just noticed a flood, WBM then mentions water cascading out of the C pillar speaker grilles,I removed the rear lamp assemblies and hooked out the drain tubes, although they look grotty I plucked up courage and blew up them, no blockage??? I then rodded them out with wire, It came out slimy but otherwise no blockage? I have now placed towels in the footwells with bricks on top, I will put dry towels in daily and hope my leather interior doesnt go green :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Had similar problems myself the other week, came to a head when i got soaked (water pissed over the front) so in asda carpark i pulled the a pillar trim off, pulled the hose up and blew into it, and it seemed pretty clear, so i tired sucking, still nothing, so i put it all backtogether, and it hasnt spewed water on me since!

You might get lucky Stu!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

I am wondering whether it was a plug of ice that caused the cascade, but ther must be a few gallons back there, never mind,its clear now, just hope theres not a big lump of goo waiting for its big moment :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i'm gonna drop the sunroof and refurb it as soon as i get the chance, i do like to use my roof alot, even in this weather so i'd rather pull it otu and keep it trim than risk deterioration.

Something i have noticed, PUG 405's use thinner walled black tubing which doesn't seem to collect mold and grime the way the clear BX ones do and having a set in the garage im very tempted to swap to them, but being none see through also worries me a little!
On pulling the BIG plug at the bottom of the drives side A'Pillar i did find a whole tone of crap, makes me wonder how rusty it will be behind there! Gonna have to get a 'helmet cam'
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Same here yesterday, left my Mums auto out in the rain facing downhill, on returning to the car the roof lining and front passenger seat were wet through :evil:

I'm reluctant to pull the A pillar trim off in this cold weather as something is bound to snap, crack or just plain break. :evil:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

both my A-pillar trims are well acustomed to coming off if i want them too and occasionally when i dont want them to so no probs for me! :D
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I think everyone on this forum has probably suffered water coming into their cars, does anyone know of a safe way to clean out the tubes i.e. mr muscle drain unblocker etc....

I'm also thinking that there must be quite a bit of grot in the tray as well again, whats best at shifiting this crud? or by doing whatever above will sort out the tray as well?

Any suggestions gratefully received. So far i have tried using fairly hot water mixed with antibacterial washing up liquid, it certainly came out the drain tubes (after unblocking them 1st) ok, but i dont think it really shifted much crud.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Theres various schools of thought on this mate.

I blow mine through with an air line every couple of months, 130psi up each tube, never had a problem.

I've dropped the headlining on the TD once, and will have to do it again soon....

It's the only sure fire way to clear all the crap out of it. Have an assitant to help you fit it back up though. Doing it on your own is a b&$t&rd!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

A mate of mine used to use bio washing powder to clean things, maybe that will clean the goo out, though sods law will dictate that it will run straight out through the drains and away. will continue today with old towels and bricks to dry the footwell, will check on the felt under the back seats too. could do with parking it in Australia with the windows open for a bit.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

MULLEY wrote:I think everyone on this forum has probably suffered water coming into their cars, does anyone know of a safe way to clean out the tubes i.e. mr muscle drain unblocker etc....

I'm also thinking that there must be quite a bit of grot in the tray as well again, whats best at shifiting this crud? or by doing whatever above will sort out the tray as well?

Any suggestions gratefully received. So far i have tried using fairly hot water mixed with antibacterial washing up liquid, it certainly came out the drain tubes (after unblocking them 1st) ok, but i dont think it really shifted much crud.
Some years ago, I extended the rear drain tubes (using a slightly larger tube bore and cable ties) and at the tubes exit I fixed the valve from an inner tube after removing the Shraedor? valve bit. this enabled me to occasionally use a garage air line to blow any collected debris. Its not a permanent fix, of course, but it effectively postpones the dreaded dropping of the roof liner/tray ritual.
Happy New Year to All
Gareth
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I blow em out with an airline.
Over and out from me
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

I fancy reducing the pipe size on my vacum cleaner and sucking the debris out, it seems to be green mossy stuff, perhaps some pathclear might do the job :) I just went out to replace the old towels in the footwell, they weigh a ton so the thing is drying out well, just fancy getting it properly dry, perhaps leaving windows ajar, that goes against the grain though so maybe one of those moisture absorbing things from the DIY place, as long as WBM will remember to empty the thing.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

The quickest way to remove the moisture is to take the carpets out :shock: I know it's a pain in the ar$e but at least you know they are dry...that 'underlay' padding holds alot of water so you could be there a while with towels and never get it completely dry. Its also easy to spot water still coming in...I found that the two rear door seals are letting in water but only when I park the car with the nose pointing down the drive. With nose pointing up then so far it's been dry. If you get stuck I have found a bit of 'oral' work on the pipes does the trick but prob not quite as good as an air line...
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

BX Bandit wrote: I have found a bit of 'oral' work on the pipes does the trick
This is a family show! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

docchevron1472 wrote:
BX Bandit wrote: I have found a bit of 'oral' work on the pipes does the trick
This is a family show! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Chris G
Sorry Gents, but oral is a good way of clearing those blocked up tubes...overflow can be nasty :shock:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue