2 Problems

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

2 Problems

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The first issue is that the missus having been told on numerous occasions to check the oil on the GTi didnt bother.

Whenever braking hard or cornering hard the oil pressure gauge came on. She thought it was low coolant so topped it up TO THE BRIM! Tart.

I dont drive this car much so I went out and witnessed the oil pressure fluctuating round corners or braking. I checked the oil level... FCUK ALL on the dipstick.

The thing took 2.5 litres!

Engine sounds no different to before.

So the 2nd issue then is why the hell have we lost 2.5 litres in 3k? Doesnt appear to leak any oil
Over and out from me
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, if it was burning oil at that rate you'd know about it. I know it sounds stupid but is the dipstick going full in? I had a GTi where the orange plastic top had broken at some point in its life and the previous owner had reassembled it so the stick was dipping about 3/4 inch less than it should've been.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

That seems a bit strange Ian, my Gti does use a bit of oil when being driven hard, so it might use that amount in 3k. The other thing is that you have assumed it has used that much, but it may have been low anyway???

Safest course of action might be to drain all of the oil to see how much is in the car & then just pour it back in (assuming its ok), to make sure that its not overfull & then take another dipstick reading. Is it possible to have an incorrect dipstick reading (perhaps a blockage?).

So what i'm basically saying is i dont have a clue...:lol:

What do you think?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

All the GTIs I have had have used oil. Maybe not the .83L per 1k miles you seem to be getting , but maybe half that and more if lots of high revs are used.

But first - do you have a leak somewhere ??

If not then at 120k and 10-12 years the valve stem seals will be worn. You should see evidence of this though. Does the engine when hot and ticking over show any signs of blue smoke or smell a bit of burning oil ?

The bores will not be worn but the piston rings could be the cause of the oil usage.

I had a TZi once. I drove it down to the med. Took 3 days on french D roads at 60mph max. It needed nearly 2 litres of oil after this effort.

After I put new valve seals and piston rings on it it did not need topping up at all between changes.
So Ian there is a cure.

Question - does the oil level gauge not work on your/her GTI.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Its had a top end rebuild about 30k ago so i dont think its top end related. I had the same problem on my last GTi and the smell from the exhaust was different.

I've told her to check the oil everyday for a week and then i'll change the oil and see what happens.

I think the gauge is working perfectly which is nice to know! It really shows how a lack of oil effects the oil pressure. Fine going in a straight line but drops right off under heavy braking or cornering.

I think its a combination of too many cold starts and the thing only pottering to work and back.

Now then, wheres Mr Chidlow as i may need to buy his GTi.....
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Ian_Fearn wrote:I think its a combination of too many cold starts and the thing only pottering to work and back.
I think you may have the cause there. Lots of cold starts and not/barely getting up to temperature will not do an engine any good at all, and will munch oil.

Only other thing that occurs to me... is it the correct grade oil? I only ask as recently, a friend had been running his Land rover on not-quite the correct grade of oil. We didn't think it would matter very much (the fact that it actually had oil at all was a minor miracle)

But, it leaked, sloped around in the sump, causing no oil pressure, leaked past the rings, leaked past the valve stems, and generally used oil like it was going out of fashion.

Changed from 15W-40 to 20W-50 (not a massive change in viscosity) and the difference was amazing. Oil consumption has almost stopped.
this might be a signature
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Its running on 15w40.

Its done a run today and used no oil.

I really hope its ok as i really dont want to scrap this car. Its been brilliant.
Over and out from me
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm confused, Ian. Why consider scrapping her? If the engine's running well (it was a perky engine if I remember) and it hasn't used oil (today) isn't it possible that this loss of oil is down to a combination of usage rather than any significant fault, and even - dare I suggest? - your possibly mistaken belief that the car has actually used that amount in the first place? How sure are you that it was full up 3k miles ago? Obviously I assume you know how much you put in it, but you know, it IS possible that you miscalculated?

Don't take this wrong, you know what you're doing with BX's but I have to ask. :roll: :D
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Ian, have u drained the oil yet? whats the current situation?
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Its using a rather significant amount of oil and a blue vapour trail follows it everywhere :cry:

I dont know what to do for the best. I've spent so much time getting this car right that i cant bring myself to scrap it.
Over and out from me
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:cry: Bu••er :cry:

I guess the only thing to do is a) Rebuild the engine, or b) offer it to someone who might enjoy the challenge of doing that instead of you, or indeed replacing the GTi Auto set up with another combination... TD auto anyone?

I't such a shame. What do you imagine the particular damage to be? Pistons/valves etc. or worse like a cracked block?

You have my sympathy Ian (as well as my old car, you vandal :lol: :wink: )
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I cant confirm what is worn on it but i suspect top end problems due to the rattling that has appeared.

Its still going and doesnt appear to have any power loss so i'm guessing the rings are probably OK.

My dilemma though is that if i commit to a top end rebuild and then the rest of the engine is knackered then i've wasted my time and money.
Over and out from me
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

Sell it back to Billy, being a Vauxhall fan he'll be used to top end rattle
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Personal opinion, i had an AX GT go this way in the hands of my other half. (i.e. when i drove it found the oil light coming on round corners)

Similar outcome engine sounds not too different but definitly not quite right and was then using a lot.

I took the opportunity to have the head skimmed, new valve stem seals, new head gasket. Stuck some new rings in as well.

Problem solved :)

Was not a big job and we know its no bigger a job on a BX. Just do it as they say on a well known sports wear brand adverts.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I know this guy "simon" he's a mechanic by trade and in cases like this or HG failure he just takes the head off and sends it to a local firm who skim and test it, reseat the valves, new stem seals etc and then he just puts them back on.

He says it's not worth his time doing it himself, he gets the complete head back ready to fit. Can't remember how much he said they charge but it didn't seem like much.

Can find out if you're interested.