Anything about BXs
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Paint Manufacturer

Post by m_2975 »

Does anyone have any idea of the manufacturer of paint for a BX built in 1992. My car has the code EPNcr.

I am looking at having the entire car resprayed from a bare shell and would like it to be perfect.

Furthermore does anyone have an idea as to what the last two letters mean?

Thanks
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

These days you don't need to get hold of the original paint manufacturer to get it as right as it used to be many moons ago as all paint mixers will have the computer sourced recipe for it.

The colour code is the secret, with the first numbers (the CAPS) being the actual colour and the lower case ones being the varient.

When I had some blue mixed for my wagon, I took the code as such to the paint shop and gave him that advice (that I'd been given by a couple of painters in the past) only to be told (by some young know all tosser at the paint shop) that the lower case letters were only there to let the mixer know what year the paint was made which turned out to be correct in a kind of manner because when he mixed as per his formula I got the blue for a 1977 CX instead of the one for a 1992 BX Estate and was the greatest 2 tone job you've ever seen n your life.
The silver for Adrians TZi was perfect using the code including the lower case letters.
One point worthy of note is that most of these colours were in 2 pack and as such the original base is a coded base coat colour not a colour as with the acrylics and it's when you start trying to convert to acrylic from 2 pack by getting a colour "almost the same as the 2 pack base coat system" that the problems begin.
In Australia, Dulux will have all you would need but in the trade, Spiers Hecker seem to set the standard.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Thanks Alan.

I'm looking at having my GTI resprayed in the near future and want to be armed with the facts to get it identical to the original. I'm having it done at our local panel shop (which do a fantastic job). I brought the written off TRI estate to them, new parts (like headlight panels, crossbars, etc) and it came back like it was from the factory. I have photos to proove!

Therefore they will do the GTI.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

There's something you can google on the 16v website relating to the last two letters (which could be crucial on a metallic). BX DIY Has colour codes minus the last 2 letters , and there's a colour code section on a frech website which I can't put the link in to because my library internet session is about to run out....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.