Brothers & Sisters my faith is being sorely tested!!

Anything about BXs
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Brothers & Sisters my faith is being sorely tested!!

Post by ed4ferrets »

Well I have taken my BX TXD off the road due to frustration of multiple probs which have come crawling out of the woodwork!!

Clutch judder, failing head gasket, constant low water light, blue smoke (or is it my imagination?), elusive oil leak & increasing use of oil, erratic power steering and dodgy tracking, painfully slow to lift .... etc etc ad nauseum.

I have found driving a Passat and even a newish LDV van a pleasure compared to the redshed .... that's got to be a bad sign methinks.

Anyway the the dilemma is do I call it a day or look at a possible TD transplant which has always appealed to me? Hmm, where does one find a low(ish) mileage TD lump and gearbox with al the trimmings that are required for said transplant?

Feeling better already having aired my grievances .....quite therapeutic that!!!
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

IMHO I'd get another BX and don't throw good money after bad and so on... Capri's TZD Turbo seems a good bet? Or there are plenty out there - even on eBay - that will fire up your enthusiasm! :D

Keep the faith!

(Good to have you back - wondered where you'd gone)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Unless its a particularly special model, or unless it holds a certain attatchment to you (excluding your wallet) I'd get shot and start again personally. Diesel BX's aren't exactly rare and good ones come around quite often.

Otherwise you end up with a wreck you couldn't sell if you wanted to, and something you've come so far with you have an emotional love/hate attatchment to......like me. And its not good :(
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Blimey Ed, I didn't realise things were that bad!
Sorry I never made it over to do the tracking and FDV, I'm crap! (and seem to be spending all my time shooting rats these days....)

Yeah, it would be easier to get a turbo car really, although if you do end up with an engine / box then I'll gladly fit it for you.
Ideally you'd need a whole car for bits since you'll need the bonnet undertray, rad, pipes etc aswell..

Nice to see you back on here mate, just a shame it's under less favourable circumstances...

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I have a TD engine and box here you can have for nothing. Needs a new clutch as slipping but should be easy enough to do I'd have thought.
Doc, it's the one that came out of my estate, do you think with a bit of fettling it would be ok for Mr Ferrets?
Vauxhall apologist.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Nice to see you back on the site, Ed (not that I'm here super-often myself at the moment). The TXD wasn't in impeccable nick, as I remember it? Perhaps another would be a good idea - I've recently spent several months driving one TD estate with mutiple problems before getting another much nicer one.

I went from jaded to ecstatic in a very short space of time, even though the new one has a list of problems to fix. The most important thing was that the new one felt much more worth working on, and was a pleasure to drive. The fun factor can make you forgive the impending work, if you're able to see a decent car at the end of it.

My brother's moved a few miles farther away from you now, but I hope to see you sometime soon when I'm in the locality.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

cavmad wrote:Doc, it's the one that came out of my estate, do you think with a bit of fettling it would be ok for Mr Ferrets?
Yeah, IIRC the engine was sound, it just had the wrong injectors for the pump and a fuel leak from the throttle spindle. All very easily sorted.

Ed???

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Scholars & gentlemen to the rescue, Billy and Chris thanks for the selfless offers!! 8)

Logistically would a trailor be the answer, Passat boot aint up to the job .... or should I hire a van?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

hhmm, well, I've got an interior to collect from Vanny, so we could share the cost of a van if you like Ed?

ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Anytime's good for me Doc, good idea mate :idea:

Is a TD clutch the same as n/a diesel by the way?

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Right, it'll have to be a weekend mate, I'll try and find some time and thats convenient with all!

Er, a 19NA clutch will physically fit, but it wont last long!

The exhaust is different oo, and you'll need the bonnet undertray, although I may have one knocking around.

Oh, and you'll need a rad and all the pipework and aheader tank too, unless Billy's still got that lot??

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

May be able to help on some of that parts list - scrapping logistics allowing. Don't forget the TD driveshafts (unfortunately mine are spoken for already).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cool, let me know then chaps and I'll keep it here swinging from the crane until such time as you can collect.
Ed, if you need me for owt I think Doc and Vanny both have my number.
Vauxhall apologist.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers young man :wink:

Taking the risk of being labelled anal by the BXclub's resident GP Docchevron :lol: but what sort of mileage and service background does the engine have Billy?
I'm thinking of timing belt, and even the head gasket which our own JKW once told me can be the cause of mucky oil seepage down the back of the engine.
Ideally I would like to sort such things out before the transplant surgery takes place .... woohoo a TD at last, I feel something kindling in my being ... could it be enthusiasm?? \:D/

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Erm, as far as the history goes I kind of don't know though there may be something here in amongst all the bills. I'm sure Doc said a cambelt change was easy (or easier) with the engine out and for the cost of a new one would be well worth doing. Didn't ever notice any h/g problems with it by the way.
Oh, could I respectfully suggest changing the octopus whilst you're there? Another job that's apparantly much easier with engine out.
The box was smooth as you like and changed very nicely, again worth changing the oil I suppose? I know that sounds like a bit of money outlay but even when it's all added yup it's not that bad and then you know it's right.
Vauxhall apologist.