16v Cat

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
tim leech

16v Cat

Post by tim leech »

Not a turbocharged feline but Jacks 16v (which Im still babysitting) has failed its mot on the emissions and washer spray bar and a windscreen chip, his car is a 93K which of course has the later engine and a catalyst. However someones cut the cat open removed the innards and welded it back up again to release some more horses, but of course now it wont pass it MOT.

Does anyone have one?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

BOSAL probably will......
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

There £150 + VAT each which isnt bad but as the owner wasnt to sell it on I imagine a cheap used one would be preferable?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

It really should still pass an MOT. Cat's are there just to improve an already 'efficient' burn.

Wind the mixture screw in on the AFM and lean it right out if you're still not sure. Or unplug one of the injectors....thats what I had to do once :oops:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Its upto the owner to decide what to do with it now Kitch, Ive had the car 3 months and need it sorted asap. as for the MOT testerhe wont pass it until theres a cat on it.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Take it somewhere less anal for an MOT then :lol:

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

How does the tester know that the cat is missing? cat or no cat, if it passes the emission test its still a pass.

What about putting in some of that very expensive high octane fuel, give it a damn good run & just get the emissions tested. That way it will have only cost a few quid in fuel & i'm sure garage would only charge a few quid for the emissions test.

If that doesnt work, why not try out that technical way of getting round the problem thats been suggested?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Really cant see the problem here, as Kitch said, it's pi$$ easy to adjust the mixture, ok, the engine will HATE burning lean, but once it's tested, wind it out again, any back street garage will have an emissions analiser.

If it needs a cat then it needs a cat. The likelyhood of getting a secondhand one is remote, and frankley I wouldn't arse about fitting a secondhand part anyway when they are available new. Ok, so it's £150, but if it needs one it needs one.

Either way, a fiddle with the AFM should easily be able to get it within limits with or without a cat...

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Will have a chat with the tester on monday and see what he says, if he realises that he may be sending it to scrap by failing the emmissions test we may get somewhere.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I doubt the tester will give two sh!ts TBH Tim. Testers dont get emotional about cars, non of the ones I know do anyhow.

Just lean the mixture on the AFM and take it to a garage that isn't so anal about the cat. If the outer carcass of the cat is present, they aint gona know if the innerds are there or not, so long as the emissions are within tollerance, they cant fail it. END.

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I was about to say! :lol:

The majority of people don't like BX's anyway, especially mechanics (most of them). I doubt he'd really care in the slightest.

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Had a word with the MOT tester and it wont go through a MOT without a CAT as im told as its registered as CAT car so the emissions test is different.

HOWEVER I have a spare cat from my Xantia which we are going to try and adapt to fit and see if that does it!

Will keep you posted.
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

did you tell him the cat had been removed? Or did he ask?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

He knew as when u tap it its hollow! and has a welding line accross it!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

You need to find a tester that is less of an arse.

You're seriousley going to f%&k about chopping a xantia cat into the pipe?
Dude, seriousley, just tell the owner it needs a cat, ask at the local exhaust centre (SDL say if theres one local) and see if you can get some money off the cost.

If the owner is prepared to spend $150 or less on a consumable item and rather scrap the car, then maybe the car would be better off being owned by someone that understands that CAT's have a finite life and require replacement every so often.