Pics of my TZD

Anything about BXs
bllewellyn

Pics of my TZD

Post by bllewellyn »

I'm a bit of newbie here and recently asked for help in the Technical section with a LHM leak - very grateful for the advice by the way :)

Anyway another member asked me to post some pics of my TZD - so here they are (I've also put them at the end of my original 'technical' post).

It's a 1989/90 1.9 TZD and has done 186,000 miles. Paintwork and trim are starting to show their age a little bit but it's still in pretty good nick. Hoping it will give me a few more years of service yet!

stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

bllewellyn wrote:Paintwork and trim are starting to show their age
Hardly! I have *students* younger than that who are showing their age more.

If you're really worried about the trim, I've been having good results with a Meguiars trim restorer product - that will probably do wonders for your black plastic. Don't bother with any spray-on products, they don't last - go for a cream that you polish in.

Otherwise, that's a car to be proud of.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

:D :D :D :D
Nice car!!!

It really is a credit to you. There are many, many cars less than half the age of your beauty, that don't look half as good (I think that sounds right :wink: ). Luvverly colour too!

I'll second Stu's recommendation on Meguaires. Not the cheapest, but regular use does a great job.

Cheers
Dave
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

MountainMan wrote:I'll second Stu's recommendation on Meguaires. Not the cheapest, but regular use does a great job.
Well, there's cheap and then there's cheap.

The Meguiars cost me eight quid, which is more than I've ever spent on a cleaning product before and the reason that I'd never used it before. It was a professional car-valeter friend who persuaded me that I should buy an expensive product.

In the past I've used Simoniz Back-To-Black, which costs about three quid.... and lasts about a week. So the cheap one is cheap but doesn't actually achieve anything - the expensive one is still not that expensive but does give results.

Check out my website for before-and-after results.

Right now my bumpers are still fading back to pink, but I'm assured that repeated applications - maybe two bottles of Meguiars trim restorer - will achieve a permanent red. £16 to reverse two decades of ageing? If they sold it for skin and hair we'd say it was dirt cheap.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

but I'm assured that repeated applications - maybe two bottles of Meguiars trim restorer - will achieve a permanent red. £16 to reverse two decades of ageing? If they sold it for skin and hair we'd say it was dirt cheap.
Stu! The assurances are correct! With previous cars (including my old BX14 in red), Meguaires restorer, used probably once every 5-6 weeks, definitely reversed the ageing! Probably took a 6 month period for the best results, so around 4-5 applications. Well worth the extra few pounds per botle for a product that actually does the intended job!
I reckon that it would take a 4000 gallon tanker-full, to restore this old body and face to its previous 51 yrs ago softness! :shock:
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

That looks quite smart & is one of my fave colours, glad u managed to get your problem sorted via the forum.....
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Look what colour it is! :shock:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

And look at the wheel trims Tim!!
bllewellyn

Post by bllewellyn »

So the consensus seems to be that it's an attractive looking car then. Stands out from the crowd anyway :)

Thanks for the advice re the Meguiars - I'm a bit broke at the moment but when I've got a bit of spare cash I'll invest in some. Hopefully I'll also be able to find the right paint to touch up the places where it's chipped and faded a bit.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I know I know!