WHHEEEE!!! IT WORKS!

BX Tech talk
joolie
BXpert

WHHEEEE!!! IT WORKS!

Post by joolie »

A new head from Oily, fitted with elring gaskets, timing belt, waterpump (which was starting to crack!), HP belt, alternator belt, a new thermostat and a good ol decarbonising and scrub. . . and after a lot o f pumpin on the fuel filter . . . it STARTED! ! ! . . . without much smoke either. . . and its RME fuel!

. . . I can hardly belive it . . it took me a year!

but now . . theres a few deatils that need fixin. . .

Here is some tube stickin out of the fuel injector . . . i rekon its something to do with the overfueling device? but where to connect it???

This one it also puzzling me, there are 2 tube connections on this TZD thermostat, one goes somewhere to the expanding tank, the other????

any ideas?[/img]
Last edited by joolie on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

why didnt the fng pictures work?

running on RME/SVO

joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

running on RME/SVO

joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

ok, done. the possible overfuelling is the blurry circle in the first photo.

running on RME/SVO

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The boost / overfuelling system runs from the front of the intercooler to the extra fuel device which is one of the 2 cylinders sticking out of the injection pump towards the radiator. I think its the one nearest the middle of the car but as the other one is electrically operated (cold start advance) it'll be the only one with a connection for the thin pipe.

On its way the pipe branches with a steel 'T' piece and another thinner pipe leads to the overboost warning light sensor which is situated under the battery. The warning light is in one of the blanks to the right of the rev counter. The pipe often rots at its joint with the sensor - which leads to a loss of pressure in the overboost operating system.

I don't think anyone has ever seen this warning light come on - would we complain about too much boost?

I would expect to find the 'T' piece approximately where you have marked the photo.
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

so i connect it to the intercooler, or search for this t junction?

do you know about the thermostat connection pictured above? the Haynes manuals are not so great with the TZD thermo. . . not enough pictures for me!

running on RME/SVO

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Choice is yours - the manufacturers have provided an overboost warning lamp - if you bypass it - then it must be at your risk. Having driven a TD for 7 1/2 years I have never seen it come on and I don't think anyone else has. If it does the thing will produce excessive power (if only - I wish it would) and you can control it by the position of your foot on the accelerator - so you must make a decision as to the dangers involved in not having this warning light which you could well miss anyway.

Hose - have a look at the rather better diagram in the Haynes Citroen Diesel manual:

http://sitruuna.unk.fi/pub/korjausoppaa ... %20Haynes/
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Connect the pipe to the intercooler, you'll find a stub for it to attach to on the front underside of it.
Dont worry about the overboost switch. I've had nu,erous TD's, and not one of them actually had the switch fitted.

Unless the pump or the turbo have been bu&&ered about with you'll find it almost impossible to overboost it, especially since spec setup is WELL within maximum operating tolerances anyway.

As for the extra stubs on the thermostat housing:
I guess you have no water pi$$ing out of them?
If not they'll be blanked already (at the fractory).
All thermostat housings had the same ports, and they were drilled for extra outputs where required.
For example, on the early engines with bosch pumps they had a cold start advance unit operated by coolant temp. The hoses for this unit came from the thermostat housing and the cam belt end of the head (where there is usually a blanking plate).
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

When I got to the garage this morning, I found the car in a big pool of LHM. . . fng typical. . . but I soon located the split pipe, I think its a return pipe (wasnt under any pressure) near to the turbocharger.

Im stuck on this thermostat housing thing. . . the diesel manual says its a screw valve thingy but there is no screw thread, the stub is long, and shows signs of corrosion ie usage. . . like it had a pipe attatched to it. . .the stub is NOT blanked, it goes all the way through to the thermostat. . .it can be unscrewed.

I dont know what to do about that, I have an MOT at 5 pm and it takes 1.3 hr to get there. All the other jobs are done and the engines running, but im quite concerned about the cooling system. I have checked and counted the hoses and connections of and it seems ok, so Im going to blank this stub and hope for the best.

theres a few more bits left over; you could guess what they are HERE:

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=65349#65349
Last edited by joolie on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

running on RME/SVO

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Joolie, any sign of the radiator plug yet? 'er indoors posted it out last week so hopefully it'll be with you soon.
Vauxhall apologist.
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

i was just wondering that myself. . . its 1 pm now, so the post should have come. . . looks like im going to have to seal it permenant. . .

running on RME/SVO

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

joolie wrote: Im stuck on this thermostat housing thing. . . the diesel manual says its a screw valve thingy but there is no screw thread, the stub is long, and shows signs of corrosion ie usage. . . like it had a pipe attatched to it. . .the stub is NOT blanked, it goes all the way through to the thermostat. . .it can be unscrewed.

I dont know what to do about that, I have an MOT at 5 pm and it takes 1.3 hr to get there. All the other jobs are done and the engines running, but im quite concerned about the cooling system. I have checked and counted the hoses and connections of and it seems ok, so Im going to blank this stub and hope for the best.
hhmm, I blanked the very same stub on my car, mainly cos it once had the coolant operated advance unit, and it dont anymore. So there is now a short piece of hose witha bolt in the end of it.
Works ok for me!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think it may go to the oil cooler. There are 2 pipes - one goes to the bottom of the radiator - and on looking at the diagram in Haynes I think the other goes to the thermostat housing. This would fit with my memories of changing the thermostat and having to cut the clip off the cooler hose with a Dremel type minature drill with a cutting disc.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Nah, the hose from the oil cooler goes to the bottom of the stat housing behind the top rad hose.

Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Put a piece of rubber pipe on it with a tyre valve and cap then you will have an extra bleeding point too.v good luck with the test, nice head :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft