Desperately seeking (front pivot) shaft

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Desperately seeking (front pivot) shaft

Post by DLM »

Tom and I are stuck replacing my offside front arm pivot shaft - and so is the shaft. I suspect the shaft and suspension bushes have been on the car the full 180,000 miles. Craft, cunning and finally violence have been attempted, all to no avail.

Does anyone near Southampton have a shaft sitting in their parts pile we could use urgently? It is the 16mm type as fitted to all BXs post-85.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Is it stuck in the subframe or have you got it out and it is worn out?
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

It appears to be stuck well and truly.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Bad luck David, mine nearly fell out :roll: I can only suggest lots of Plusgas and a slide hammer. Have you spaced out the front nut with thick washers and tried tightening it to pull the shaft through?
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Plenty of spacing and tightening attempted in both directions. It's seemingly welded to the bushes.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

:? I must have been very lucky................
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Yuk !

I know from experience, that these pivot shaft bolts can be like welded on, either in the subframe or the bushes.

The front subframe can take quite some welly right at this point, thus persuading the bolt should be possible.
It must come off forwards to the vehicle, thus the rearmost nut must be freed up on the threads beforehand. The frontmost nut must be locked With a counternut removing the rear one.
Unscrew the front most nut and remove the shims. Then refit it and lock it with the counternut, leaving the space open from removed shims.
Now give that bolt some welly, preferably with an air impact hammer, using a clubhammer held on the impact hammer housing as counterweight.

That should shift the bolt well and truly with some patience.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Thanks to all for suggestions and commiserations. Anders - nice to hear from you again. Unfortunately we've been through all the options suggested.

Weighing up the grief so far, the further grief involved in bush removal and then inserting new bushes (we have no press available ), I suspect it's a case of at least one new arm.

Update: Solved temporarily pending arrival of new pivot shaft through application of considerable effort, hacksaw, hammers, angle grinder and a length of M16 stud. Many thanks to Tom for his sterling efforts.