Hydraulic fluid reservoir

BX Tech talk
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

Hydraulic fluid reservoir

Post by pindimar »

Yellow disc between the two red lines and all of that

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before although a search I just did was not able to come up with anything, but a question regarding the fluid level.

The yellow float is supposed to be between the two red lines but the float on my reservoir is always above the top red line. This is measured when the the suspension is on full height adjustment but the float must be stuck.

So how do you judge the level of the fluid; is the a finger test or by eye?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks

Pindimar (Greg)

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have a look through the reservoir filler and you should be able to see the surface of the LHM. If you can touch the surface with a finger with the car on full height the level will be about right.

Too much LHM will just leak out of the top of the tank and make a mess.

pindimar
BXpert

Reservoir fluid level

Post by pindimar »

Thanks Jeremy

I'll try that, and it does ring a bell, too, I'll bet it's been mentioned quite a few times on this site!
Greg F

kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Would it help if someone scanned off the Page from the BX users handbook for those that do not have the book no more?
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91

DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Hydraulic fluid reservoir

Post by DavidRutherford »

pindimar wrote:the float on my reservoir is always above the top red line. This is measured when the the suspension is on full height adjustment but the float must be stuck.
These floats are never ever ever stuck. Certainly I've never seen or heard of one being actually jammed. The problem you have is an over-full LHM tank, thus leaving the float at the top all the time.

If you put the car in high, and allow it to stabilise, the tank should be almost empty. Undoubtedly yours will still have a fair bit in. Remove some LHM, and the float will drop.

But, it's no bad thing having some excess LHM in the tank.
this might be a signature

pindimar
BXpert

Hydraulic fluid reservoir problem

Post by pindimar »

Well....with the car on full height (highest) and the engine running, the float is right at the top with the middle of the yellow float above the top red line. At the same time, there is very little fluid in the reservoir although you can see it but cannot feel it with a finger - any finger.

So today I put more LHM in the reservoir (almost 2/3 of a litre) and still I cant feel the fluid with a finger - with the engine running.

What is happening do you think, what am I missing?

GregF

Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Fluid level?

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi all Sorry but I have got to ask why is it checked like it is? I know this has been covered many times but I am blowed if I can see why. I put the car on low, engine off and this means that all the suspension lhm is returned and allowing for what is in the accumulator then if the level is an 1" below the top then thats it.
I ignore the float because I can never make sense of it.
Cheers, waiting for a simple answer because there is something obvious that I have missed!!!!!!
All the best.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.

MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

U havent got a slow leak perhaps? if there's no drips could it be atomising (looks like smoke). Perhaps with the engine running & on high have a good look in the engine bay, & underneath to see if you can spot anything wrong.

AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Geof -

With car set to low - you have all the LHM from the suspension returned to the reservoir.
If you want to get it one step further - then discharge the accumulator by the pressure relief ("bleed") screw on the PR.

Now you have as much LHM as possible returned to the reservoir. It makes sense then, that the only check really necessary is that the fluid is not on the overspill limit - or too close to that.
I'd say this is a check for the experienced DIY owner who knows his hydropneumatic Citroen.

If you ever learn to understand the float, you'll see that it does in fact comes pretty close to this simple rule :wink:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak

Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Fluid level.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Thank you Anders, I did not want to complicate matters about emptying the accumulator sphere, as the pressure release screw is completely buried on mine and only to be reached from underneath I just simply allow for it.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.

richjenn
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Hydraulic fluid reservoir

Post by richjenn »

[quote
These floats are never ever ever stuck. Certainly I've never seen or heard of one being actually jammed./quote]

Well, mine certainly sticks!! very confusing! Flushed filters recently, too!

Cheers
richjenn
Richard
(Maybe I should buy a Micra after all.............)

m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Re: Fluid level?

Post by m_2975 »

Geoffrey Gould wrote:Hi all Sorry but I have got to ask why is it checked like it is?
Hi Geoff,

It is checked with the suspension right up to ensure that even when the entire system is at its theoretical maximum of LHM use there is still some left in the tank for leaks or an emergency like a HP pipe rupturing. This way you have enough LHM to cover any failure so that you can pull up safely.

The float is designed to take into account the amount used in the system.

I know it defies logic to check it when empty but that's the French for you!
pindimar wrote:Well....with the car on full height (highest) and the engine running, the float is right at the top with the middle of the yellow float above the top red line. At the same time, there is very little fluid in the reservoir although you can see it but cannot feel it with a finger - any finger.
Hi Greg,

The float very rarely gets stuck. It's immersed in lubricating fluid!
If you have your car set right up and the suspension is solid when you press down on the front or rear of the body then I suspect that you have an overfilled LHM tank.

The top of the float needs to be between the two red rings, preferrably closest to the top ring. Ignore the yellowish piece of metal that's below the top of the float, that just gives it weight so that it goes down to show the correct level.

If your float shows right up then you can try giving it a little tap in case it's stuck. If it still shows full then take some LHM out until you see the float dropping. Depending on how much is in there you might be taking quite a bit out. Remember that the tank is supposed to only have a small amount in it anyway when the car is right up. When the car is back to normal it will always show overfull, that's normal.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A

DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

m_2975 wrote:I know it defies logic to check it when empty but that's the French for you!
Not at all. Given that different models of BX have differing capacities for LHM in the system, if the system were checked when empty, you would need "full" marks for each different setup.

By checking the level with the vehicle's systems full, you then only need one level, as you are measuring a "full" system (whatever that happens to be) + an amount of reserve.
this might be a signature

m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

DavidRutherford wrote:
m_2975 wrote:I know it defies logic to check it when empty but that's the French for you!
Not at all. Given that different models of BX have differing capacities for LHM in the system, if the system were checked when empty, you would need "full" marks for each different setup.

By checking the level with the vehicle's systems full, you then only need one level, as you are measuring a "full" system (whatever that happens to be) + an amount of reserve.
Thanks David.

See all, the French aren't really stupid! We are :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A

kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Somwhere in this topic the mention of an HP pipe rupture brought back some scary memories.

It happened to me about two years ago fast lane of the M27 passing everything i could to try and get home and all of a sudden red warning lights dropped suspension and oh s**t.
:o
I managed to get to the hard shoulder without colliding with anything and the good old AA got me home all be it 4 hours later.
but the car was repaired and is still going strong.(touch wood oh no wheres the wood) :)

Thank god for that bit of reserve HLM

Regards KERMIT
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)