Gauges

BX Tech talk
timbo2410
Confirmed BX'er

Gauges

Post by timbo2410 »

Can anybody tell me if "MARINE" gauges are any different to "AUTOMOTIVE" gauges?
If they have the same fittings, the same voltage etc etc ... I would imagine that they would not have a problem being used in an "automotive" role .... please correct me if I am wrong.
By the way, I have sent 4 emails to VDO UK and not once have I had a reply even though the emails had been read !!!! Not very good service ....
In case you are wondering, I want to fit a pair of matching gauges that will display coolant temperature and external temperature ... nothing major.... I cannot find a shop that stocks these gauges near me ... check these out:

http://www.siemensvdo.co.uk/products_so ... -gauge.htm

http://www.siemensvdo.co.uk/products_so ... rature.htm

Advice is welcome ....
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Apart from special "Marine" prices they ought to work fine in your BX, some marine stuff will operate over a wider voltage range, starters and alternators may be wired differently but gauges ought to be fine, i got mine from Demon Tweeks.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

One of the main differences is the IP rating of the marine units. IP67 test is vicious. Really vicious. It's a 2-test system of "ingress protection". The 6 is for dust, and is the highest rating (6 effectively means "sealed, and sod all is getting in) the 7 is the water rating. 8 is actually the highest rating for the water test, but that's a rather extreme thermal-shock immersion test. 7 is a "basic" immersion test.

Either way, an IP 67 rated unit is going to be expensive.
this might be a signature
timbo2410
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo2410 »

ok so it sounds like I can use them without issue... now for the technical wording when I order them... can anybody tell me what to ask for when I order a "T" or "Y" fitting so that I can run my red light sender and the coolant temp gauge sender together in parrallel and also what type of thread is on the fitting .... in short .. what fittings do I order ...