electric window motor overhaul

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

electric window motor overhaul

Post by B-Hive »

Its late (2.01am) and I have no date so thought I'd give some info on how to freshen up a lecky window motor and switches

The window mechanisms in my newly acquired 16TRS were ..let us just say..functioning less than ideally..In fact I could knit a sweater in the time the glass took to go up or down ..I have never been one to replace anything if i can fix it so i set upon pulling apart my window motors. Most of the pull apart is quite simple and aparent...bend the lugs back on the top of the motor bit (rectangular bit) and push a couple of pins out on the gear section (the other bit). Once you have slid the motor cover off and remove the two pins on the gear body, the two halves of the gear section will seperate. I first up cleaned out the gear section from 22 year old grease that was more like clay and freshened it up with new grease. This was obviously the problem. The biggest challenge was to reassemble the motor and brushes. This was really tricky...really...but i discovered a washer that sits at the top of the motor that assists at the top of the shaft. If you remove this washer and carefully place it between the two motor brushes, it serves to keep the brushes separated wide enough and long enough to reinstall the motor spindle. As you push the motor down on the brush holder (very gradually) this washer is then gradually pushed back into place where it should be after performing its civic duty of holding the brushes apart. Beautiful!!. :D .. 4 as new electric window motors for a couple of hours work.

Dont be afraid to pull apart your window switches either and clean up the contacts.. If you are patient and not heavy handed they will come apart and go back together as good as new.. i actually accidently broke off two tiny plastic pins doing this but dremelled new ones in ..crap i'm cheap!!! :oops:.. but hey 4 as new switches now as well $0

Very satisfying..try it !!!
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed